About Paul van den Berg
Paul van den Berg is an antitrust, competition and trade partner in our firm’s Amsterdam and Brussels offices. He specialises in competition law, European law and regulated markets.
Paul advises clients across a range of sectors including fast-moving-consumer-goods, energy and healthcare. He has significant experience in advising multinational companies and private equity firms on global merger control procedures. In addition, he advises clients in cartel, abuse of dominance, foreign investment control and state aid procedures, and competition law and regulatory litigation. He has represented clients before the Dutch and European courts and advised on complex proceedings before a large number of competition authorities around the world.
Paul has a global client base and regularly speaks and publishes on antitrust topics. Clients greatly value his collaborative, efficient and practical style. Paul has also been seconded to the firm's Beijing office in the course of his career at the firm.
- Advising NN Group in relation to EU merger control proceedings with respect to its acquisition of Delta Lloyd
- Advising Anheuser-Busch InBev with respect to the European Commission’s ongoing abuse of dominance investigation in relation to alleged parallel trade restrictions
- Advising Novartis on its three-part, portfolio-transforming transaction with GSK, specifically on the China competition law aspects of the combination of Novartis’ consumer healthcare business with that of GSK.
- Advising ABN AMRO on multiple matters, including the European Commission’s State aid procedure and the divestment of the diamond and jewellery activities in India.
- Advising funds managed by Blackstone in relation to various acquisitions in multiple jurisdictions, including in the real estate and financial sectors.
- Advising CPPIB on a number of transactions in multiple jurisdictions, including its acquisition of stakes in several shopping centres across Europe and infrastructure assets outside of Europe.
- King’s College London, UK (postgraduate diploma in EU competition law)
- University of Maastricht, the Netherlands (LLM in Dutch civil law)