About Prof. Dr. Christoph H. Seibt
Christoph works largely for listed companies and is the co-head of our global listed companies/public M&A group.
Christoph is one of the most highly regarded corporate lawyers in Germany, evidenced by peer group reviews and received awards, and the fact that he is regularly asked to give expert opinions to the German government. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, corporate and financial restructurings, as well as providing corporate governance and corporate finance advice to boards.
Over the last 20 years Christoph has become 'the name in the market' for takeover and activist shareholders defence work, crisis management advice, and complex stakeholder issues. Besides working on extraordinary, one-off matters for new clients, he has built long-term relationships with a number of DAX and MDAX clients and also large family offices for whom he acts on a regular basis.
He speaks English and French, as well as his native German.
- Continental AG on (i) the corporate group reorganisation and IPO of the Powertrain business (2017/18, ongoing), (ii) the acquisition of Veyance Technologies (USA) (2013/2014), (iii) the sale of the SY-Technologies-investment (2012), (iv) the refinancing by capital increase (2009/2010), (v) the unsolicited takeover by Schaeffler Group (2008) and the co-operation of the respective automotive businesses (2009/2010), the acquisition of (vi) the Siemens VDO Group (2008), (vii) the Phoenix AG (2006) as well as of (viii) the Temic Group from DaimlerChrysler AG (2005), (viiii) the sale of the Fuel Systems Group and the separation of the Rubber Group (2009); ongoing advice in relation to corporate and capital market topics as well as in relation to corporate governance;
- STADA Arzneimittel AG on activist shareholder defense, the takeover by Cinven/Bain Capital and the following group integration (by a domination agreement and delisting offer) (2016-18);
- Ottobock on its sale of IT business Sycor to Allgeier (2018), in the purchase of Technogel (2017) and on its group reorganization and sale of 20% of its Healthcare unit to EQT (2016/17)
- Aurubis AG (former Norddeutsche Affinerie AG) on (i) the sale of the flat products business to Wieland Werke (2018, ongoing), (ii) the acquisition of the Rolled Business of Luvata (2011), (iii) capital increases through Accelerated Bookbuilding (2007 and 2011), (iv) the defence against the unsolicited stake building of A-Tec Industries AG (2007/2008), (v) the takeover of the Belgium listed company Cumerio and subsequent merger into a European Stock Corporation (SE) (2007/2008) and (vi) the sale of its chemical business; ongoing advice in relation to corporate and capital market topics as well as in relation to corporate governance.
- Volkswagen on the German corporate law aspects of the so-called 'dieselgate' (2015/2016).
- Legal education at the universities of Hamburg, Geneva, Singapore and Yale Law School
- Philosophy and Japanese Studies at the universities of Hamburg, Geneva and Harvard Department of Philosophy (special student)
- Doctor of laws (Dr iur) as well as master of laws (LLM Yale)
- Fachanwalt für Steuerrecht (tax specialist), Germany
- Attorney at law (New York)
- Judge, Hanseatischer Anwaltsgerichtshof, Hamburg
- Board Member, Corporate Finance Association (corpfina), Germany
- Board Member, Finanzplatzinitiative Hamburg e.V.
- Chairman of Board, Stiftung Institut für Unternehmens- und Kapitalmarktrecht an der Bucerius Law School
- Honorary Professor at Bucerius Law School since 2008
- Visiting Professor at Kyoto University in 2010 and visiting scholar there in 2013 and 2015
- Expert advisor to the German Parliament in numerous legislation proceedings and has also advised foreign institutions such as the Japanese Keidanren on EU and German law