“Good tactical nous”
Christopher advises on a wide range of litigation and regulatory proceedings in the banking and financial services sector.
He also works on cross-border investigations with a financial services or financial crime focus.
Christopher's expertise in these areas has been recognised by Legal Week and Legal Business, which recognised him in 2016 as a 'Rising Star' in banking disputes. Freshfields has also been shortlisted for various awards in connection with Christopher’s work on the Lehman 'Waterfall' litigation.
Christopher is our dispute resolution trainee partner and oversees the management of all trainees in the department.
- Acting for Deutsche Bank in Deutsche Bank v Sebastian Holdings Inc. in respect of DB’s successful claim for around $230m and successful defence of Sebastian Holdings’ $7bn counterclaim, the largest post credit crunch claim heard in the English Commercial Court.
- Leading cross-border investigations for numerous financial institutions in connection with allegations of trader misconduct in relation to credit and FX products, tax related trading activity, potential insider trading and management oversight of conduct of business issues.
- Advising financial institutions on financial crime related issues and investigations, including reporting obligations under the Proceeds of Crime Act, AML and other systems and controls issues, and bribery allegations.
- Acting for a sovereign wealth fund in complex international litigation involving multiple allegations of oral contracts.
- Acting for financial institutions in defending claims relating to the sale of financial products, including derivatives.
- Acting for creditors of Lehman in the Waterfall litigation relating to the distribution of LBIE’s surplus of around £7bn (one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases of 2015).
- Christopher holds a first class degree in law from Durham University and a first class LL.M. from Christ’s College, Cambridge.
London65 Fleet Street
London EC4Y 1HS
T +44 20 7936 4000
F +44 20 7832 7001 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bloomsbury's Financial Services Law Guide Fourth Edition (2014) Author of the Enforcement chapter
Investigations and Enforcement (2014) Financial Services editorial team