“brings an ‘excellent practical approach to solving problems’”
Bruce is a partner and head of Freshfields US antitrust, competition, and trade practice, based in our Washington, DC office. Bruce has significant experience in merger control, conduct investigations, antitrust counseling, litigation and representation before the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission.
He represents clients in a wide range of industries, including automotive, consumer products, defense, healthcare, manufacturing, mining, natural gas gathering and processing, oil and gas exploration and distribution and wholesale drug distribution.back to tab navigation
- Maersk in its ~$1 billion sale of Maersk Container Industry (MCI), a leading manufacturer of refrigerated containers, to China International Marine Containers Co., a Chinese provider of transportation equipment, including shipping containers.
- Aerojet Rocketdyne on its $4.4bn sale to Lockheed Martin.
- A leading industrials company on the acquisition by Neogen of the company’s food safety business, including coordinating all merger control and foreign investment requirements.
- Axel Springer on its $1bn acquisition of Politico in the US. This will continue Axel Springer’s growth in the US and will be the third reportable transaction in the US that the Freshfields team has handled for Germany’s largest media company that has expanded its portfolio in the US and around the world.
- Continental AG on the global coordination, across 13 jurisdictions, of its $1.6bn acquisition of US-based rubber company Veyance Technologies. The deal sparked scrutiny from competition authorities worldwide in over 20 product markets and involved the negotiation of a structural remedy with the DOJ to divest limited assets in one market, a remedy that satisfied competitive concerns in three other jurisdictions.
- Kiekert AG, and its North American subsidiary, in the global auto parts price-fixing investigations, including a negotiated plea agreement with the DOJ and follow-on litigation in the US.
- Vita Group in In re Polyurethane Foam Antitrust Litigation in connection with over 40 class action lawsuits (multidistrict litigation consolidated in the Northern District of Ohio) against manufacturers of polyurethane foam products for alleged antitrust violations. This is follow-on US class action litigation that stemmed from the DOJ grand jury investigation.
- JD, high honors, George Mason University School of Law.
- BA, University of Virginia.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the State of Virginia.
- Actively participates in the leadership of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section.
- Frequent speaker at ABA programs.
- Recently served as the co-editor of the Transportation Antitrust Handbook.
- Has authored books and articles for the trade group’s publications, including the Premerger Notification Practice Manual, Energy Antitrust Handbook and Market Power Handbook.
Awards and recognition
- Recognized in the 2022 edition of Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America – Antitrust Litigation & Investigations
Washington, DC700 13th Street, NW, 10th floor
Washington, DC 20005-3960
T +1 202 777 4547
F +1 202 507 5947