About Joseph Mason
Joseph is an associate in our London office, where he focuses on guiding clients through complex intellectual property, technology, strategic data privacy and regulatory issues in the context of global transactions and investigations.
He is particularly active in the technology, media, consumer, and financial institutions sectors and regularly advises clients on cross-border M&A, investments, joint ventures, strategic data privacy, cyber security and incident response, tech regulatory and commercial law.
Joseph's career has spanned Freshfields' offices in London and Hong Kong, and he has spent time on secondment in the Assistant General Counsel's office of a leading FTSE 100 conglomerate. He has also worked in-house for one of Europe's fatest growing AI companies, advising on the risks and opportunites of deploying artificial intelligence across governments, regulated industries and the defence sector. Earlier in his career, Joe worked in national defence and security policy in the Cabinet Office.
Whilst at Freshfields, Joseph has advised:
- a global technology company on its global regulatory investigations in relation to emerging technologies;
- a global technology on several acquisitions of technology companies;
- a private equity fund on its investments in global sport;
- a venture capital fund on its investment into financial technology business;
- a global entertainment business on its separate and sale of its betting business;
- a European technology technology on its initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange;
- a global technology business on its compliance obligations under global technology regulations, including the EU Digital Services Act, Digital Markets Act, and the UK Online Safety Act;
- a global technology business on its global privacy compliance;