About Simon Duncombe
Simon advises on a wide range of commercial disputes and contentious regulatory matters.
He has a particular focus on product liability, consumer protection and environmental issues. Simon has acted on cross-border disputes and investigations for clients across the consumer, retail, healthcare and general industry sectors.
He specialises in the defence and coordination of complex group litigation, including claims brought by shareholders, consumers and mass tort claimants. He has also helped numerous clients to manage crises and contentious regulatory risks and is experienced in dealing with external regulators and authorities.
In addition, Simon works closely with other members of the firm’s commercial disputes and global transactions teams on specialist regulatory issues arising in a deal context.
Simon joined the firm in 2005 and has worked in our London and Paris offices.
- Successfully defending Mastercard in collective proceedings before the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal, the largest damages claim ever brought in the UK. Read more about the litigation in our case study.
- Advising various companies on the operation of comparable international regimes on notification, product recall and other corrective action measures.
- Advising a number of clients with investigations by the UK Competitions and Markets Authority in relation to alleged unfair sales, pricing and promotional practices.
- Advising a global alcoholic beverages manufacturer to enhance its existing policies and procedures aimed at combating illicit trade in its products. This work involved auditing current policies and ensuring that they remained best in class, given recent and likely future developments in the regulatory and case law environment.
- Defending product liability claims, allegedly caused by defective consumer and pharmaceutical products, in civil and regulatory proceedings, including class actions.