“Matthew ‘is a pleasure to deal with, an adroit negotiator with technical and commercial acumen, and has an ability to anticipate opposing counsel’s moves in transactions.’”
Matthew is co-head of global M&A and the head of our US corporate practice.
Matthew advises corporations, financial sponsors and other financial intermediaries in their public and private M&A needs, whether the transaction entails assets in the United States or US counterparties, or entails investments or acquisitions in high-growth markets.
Matthew is a regular guest lecturer on M&A at many law schools, and has been a panelist at the Tulane Corporate Law Institute. He is also the only lawyer in the United States to have been the lead partner on transactions recognized by the Financial Times in the first four years of their US Innovative Lawyer Awards.back to tab navigation
Cross-Border Corporate M&A
- Acting for Dubai Aerospace Enterprise on the acquisition of AWAS, a global leader in aircraft leasing, from funds managed by Terra Firma and CPPIB (pending), and the sale of StandardAero, one of the industry’s largest independent maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) providers, to an affiliate of Veritas Capital.
- Acting for Henderson Group in connection with its $6bn all stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with AUM of more than $320bn (pending).
- Acting for Sysco Corporation on its $3.1bn acquisition of Brakes Group from Bain Capital.
- Acting for Japan Tobacco Inc. on its $5bn acquisition of the non-US operations of Natural American Spirit from Reynolds American; its acquisition of Logic Technology Development LLC, one of the leading US e-cigarette brands; and its more than $230m acquisition of Brazilian leaf tobacco suppliers Kannenberg & Cia. Ltda. and Kannenberg, Barker, Hall & Cotton Tabacos Ltda.
- Acting for Mast-Jägermeister on its acquisition of the Sidney Frank Importing Company (SFIC), the NY-based alcohol brands distributor.
- Acting for Foster Wheeler (Nasdaq: FWLT) on its approximately $8.5bn mixed cash and stock business combination with AMEC plc.
- Acting for UMS United Medical Systems International AG on the sale of United Medical Systems (DE), Inc. to New State Capital Partners LLC.
- Acting for United Continental Holdings Inc. on the $120m sale of selected assets to Southwest Airlines Co.
- Acting for diversified chemical company FMC in connection with its approximately $345m acquisition of Epax, a global leader in the production of high purity, premium grade Omega-3 EPA/DHA fatty acids.
- Acting for FINCA International, the provider of microfinance services, in connection with the creation of FINCA Microfinance Holdings, a first-of-its-kind, socially responsible, more than $200m investment partnership with strategically selected international development banks and socially responsible investment firms (ranked “Commended” in the Financial Times 2012 US Innovative Lawyer Awards).
- Acting for ASSA ABLOY AB, the global leader in door opening solutions, in connection with its $130m acquisition of Albany International Corp.’s global door systems division.
- Acting for Merck & Co., Inc. in connection with its joint venture with Simcere Pharmaceutical Group.
- Acting for Travelex, the world’s leading foreign exchange specialist, on the $964m sale of its business payments operations, Travelex Global Business Payments, to The Western Union Company (ranked “Commended” in the Financial Times 2011 US Innovative Lawyer Awards); on the $458m sale of its prepaid Card Program Management business to MasterCard; and on its $600m acquisition of Ruesch International, the business-to-business payment service provider owned by Welsh Carson.
- Acting for Invatec, an Italian medical device manufacturer, and its owners on the sale to Medtronic, Inc., in a transaction valued at up to $500m.
- Acting for K&S A.G., the DAX-listed salt products and fertilizers group, on its $1.7bn acquisition of Morton Salt (ranked “Highly Commended” in the Financial Times 2010 US Innovative Lawyer Awards) and its more than $500m acquisition of SPL, the Latin American salt producer.
- Acting for Magnum Coal Company, a portfolio company of ArcLight Capital Partners, on the sale to Patriot Coal Corporation in an SEC-registered stock-for-stock transaction valued at approximately $1.4bn.
- Acting for Sports Direct on its $182m contested acquisition of Everlast Worldwide Inc., under the go-shop provisions of Everlast’s previous merger agreement, and its successful defense of litigation relating to the acquisition.
- Acting for Linde A.G. on its sale of INO Therapeutics, a leader in gaseous drugs, and its reinvestment in Ikaria Holdings, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital, in a transaction valued at $670m.
- Acting for Lanxess on its global divestiture program, including the separate dispositions of its Dorlastan elastic fibers division and its paper chemicals division.
- Acting for eircom on its €420m acquisition of mobile operator Meteor Mobile Communications from Western Wireless Corporation.
- Acting for Degussa on the disposition of Proligo to Sigma-Aldrich.
Financial Sponsor M&A
- Acting for CVC Capital Partners in connection with the $8bn sale of Formula One Group to Liberty Media Corporation (pending).
- Acting for global private equity firm Advent International in connection with its $2.2bn sale of behavioral healthcare services provider Priory Group; and its $1.1bn acquisition of the coatings resins business of Cytec Industries Inc.
- Acting for the Chief Executive Officer, Chairman and Founder of RealD, Inc., the NYSE-listed global visual technology company, in connection with the more than $550m going private leveraged buyout by Rizvi Traverse.
- Acting for Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of a majority stake in Source Holdings Limited, a leading European exchange-traded product provider; and in connection with its portfolio company MACH’s approximately $700m sale to Syniverse, and acquisitions of Cibernet and of WorldCell’s roaming service business.
- Acting for Global infrastructure fund EQT in connection with its $420m acquisition by tender offer of Westway Group, Inc.
- Acting for Goldman Sachs PIA and Permira on the $3.8bn sale of Cognis, a German producer of food and cosmetics ingredients, to BASF.
- Acting for Permira in connection with its €2.1bn leveraged buyout (with KKR) of the pan-European television and radio operator SBS Broadcasting SA.
- Acting for the sponsor consortium owners (including Apax, Atlas, 3i and Doll Capital Management) of eDreams, Inc. on the €153m sale to TA Associates.
- Acting for Fox Paine on the disposition of the North American canola business of Advanta BV to Monsanto Company.
- Acting for the financial adviser to the Special Committee of Apollo Residential Mortgage, in connection with its approximately $640m merger with Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance (pending).
- Acting for the financial advisor to MCG Capital Corporation, in connection with the $175m sale of MCG Capital Corporation to PennantPark Floating Rate Capital, Ltd.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Medtronic, in connection with Medtronic’s announced $42.9bn cash and stock inversion acquisition of Covidien, in a transaction that values the combined company at more than $100bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Corio N.V. in connection with Klépierre S.A.’s offer to acquire Corio in a transaction that values the combined company at more than €10bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Tyco in connection with the “Reverse Morris Trust” merger of Tyco’s flow control division with Pentair, Inc., in a transaction that values the combined company at approximately $7.7bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Techtronic Industries on its $713m acquisition of Sweden’s Atlas Copco.
- JD, magna cum laude, Albany Law School, lead articles editor for The Albany Law Review.
- BA in economics, Emory University.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Member, the Board of Trustees of Albany Law School.
- Guest lecturer on M&A topics at Yale Law School and Columbia Law School.
- Served as panelist at the Tulane Corporate Law Institute and at several other M&A conferences.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 277 4037
F +1 646 521 5637 firstname.lastname@example.org