About Paul Yde
Paul is a partner in our US antitrust group, based in Washington, DC.
Paul’s practice primarily involves representing parties before the US Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the state attorneys general on the antitrust aspects of M&A, joint ventures, distribution and intellectual property arrangements, and other competitive conduct.
Paul has acted as lead counsel on numerous complex matters in a variety of industries, including a continuous docket of merger and conduct investigations at both the DOJ and FTC. He has litigated antitrust cases before federal and state courts and in federal administrative proceedings.
Paul previously held positions in government antitrust enforcement, serving as counsel to two Federal Trade Commissioners, and as a litigation attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition. Paul is trained in both law and economics, having received undergraduate and graduate degrees in economics with a specialization in industrial organization (antitrust) economics.
- Advising Messer Group & CVC Capital Partners with respect to their $3.3bn acquisition of North American industrial gas assets required to be divested as a result of the FTC’s investigation of Linde/Praxair.
Advising KLX Inc. on its $4.2bn acquisition by Boeing Co.
- Advising Novartis on two multibillion-dollar transactions: its joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Health to form a world-leading consumer healthcare business, and the $5.4bn sale of its Animal Health business to Eli Lilly.
- Advising Rexam, the leading global beverage can maker, on the FTC’s Second Request review of its $6.9bn takeover by US rival Ball Corporation, which brought together the world’s two largest producers of drinks cans.
- Advising United Airlines on the DOJ investigation and challenge to its slot acquisitions in New York City, the ongoing DOJ investigation of alleged collusion among North American airlines, and in connection with various joint venture agreements requiring antitrust and other regulatory approvals.
- Advising Hachette Book Group in United States of America v. Apple, Inc., an MDL class action litigation and related proceedings surrounding the DOJ and state attorneys general investigations of eBooks’ pricing, including advising on Hachette’s continuing compliance obligations pursuant to the DOJ settlement.
- Advising Intel, a global manufacturer of computer microprocessors and computing devices, on its $16.7bn acquisition of Altera (the largest in the company’s history).
- JD, The University of Kansas School of Law.
- MA, economics, The University of Kansas.
- BS, economics, The University of Wisconsin.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the State of Ohio.