About Natalia Marina Zibibbo
Natalia works in our international arbitration group, and focuses on commercial and investment arbitration in Latin America.
Natalia has extensive experience in investment and commercial disputes in Latin America and other emerging markets. She has acted as counsel in more than 15 high profile commercial and investment treaty arbitrations proceedings under ICC, DIS, ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility and UNCITRAL rules, in both English and Spanish. Natalia has also acted on a regular basis as ad hoc clerk in arbitral proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Natalia currently represents multinational companies with investments in Latin America, mainly in the energy, mining, telecommunications and agro-industry sectors.
Natalia speaks English, Spanish, French and German.
- Secured $2.8bn in an ICSID award for Grupo Agroinsumos for Venezuela's expropriation of its investment in the most important group of companies in the country's agribusiness. This is the second largest award to date.
- Secured $386m in two ICSID awards for Tenaris, a major producer of steel pipes for the oil and gas industry, in two separate ICSID arbitrations against Venezuela arising out of the nationalization of its interests in two hot-briquetted iron producers in Venezuela, and Venezuela’s sole producer of seamless steel pipes for the oil and gas industry.
- Representing Repsol in relation to its dispute with Argentina over the highly controversial nationalization of its investment: Repsol’s 51 percent stake in local oil company YPF. This is one of the highest-profile direct expropriations in a decade, with major front page news coverage throughout the world and recognized as Deal of the Year (Disputes) by Latin Lawyer 2014. The case settled for an amount in excess of $5bn.
- Representing Glencore in an investment treaty claim against Bolivia for the expropriation of its US$780m investment in Bolivia's mining sector.
- School of Law, Universidad de Alcalá, Spain (Expert in Spanish Law, 2010).
- Master of Law and Business MLB, Bucerius Law School and Otto Beisheim School of Management, Germany, 2008.
- School of Law, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina (cum laude, 2007).
- Special Legal Consultant, District of Columbia.
- Foreign Legal Consultant, New York.
- Abogado, Argentina.