About Zheng (Jonathan) Zhou
Zheng focuses on complex domestic and cross-border M&A and other corporate and financial transactions.
Jonathan has led numerous M&A projects, including acquisitions and sales of private companies for purchase prices ranging from billions of dollars to amounts below the HSR threshold, high profile sales and acquisitions of publicly traded companies, investments by private equity and sovereign wealth funds, carve-out divestitures by publicly traded companies, and joint ventures and other strategic partnerships.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Google on numerous acquisitions, including its $2.6 billion acquisition of Looker Data Sciences, and acquisitions of MobiledgeX, Photomath, Like.com, ITA Software, Skybox and DeepMind Technologies.
- eBay on its acquisitions of Certilogo and TCGPlayer.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise on its $925 million acquisition of Silver Peak and acquisition of Determined AI.
- CPP Investments on its participation in the acquisition of Virtusa Corporation.
- Cinven on its acquisition of a majority stake in Euro Techno Com Group from Carlyle.
- CarLotz on its $827 million merger with Acamar Partners Acquisition Corp, and its sale to Shift Technologies.
- Entain in connection with DraftKings’ $22.4 billion and MGM’s $11 billion takeover offers.
- Keysight Technologies on its $1.6 billion acquisition of Ixia.
- A buyer consortium on its $1.9 billion acquisition of OmniVision Technologies.
- Open Text on its acquisition of Guidance Software.
- Temasek on its acquisition of Syngia.
- TPG on its investment in Uber.
- Baidu on its acquisition of an internet company based in Brazil.
- Beijing Miteno Communications Technologies on its acquisition of Media.net.
- AstraZeneca on its $1.2 billion acquisition of Gracell Biotechnologies.
- Agilent Technologies on numerous transactions, including its acquisition of Resolution Bioscience for $550 million in cash at closing and up to an additional $145 million based on achieving future performance milestones; subsequent sale of Resolution Bioscience to Exact Sciences; $1.17 billion acquisition of BioTek Instruments; and acquisitions of ACEA Biosciences, PSS Polymer Standards Service, Avida Biomed and e-MSion.
- Moderna on its acquisition of OriCiro Genomics K.K.
- Henry Schein on the spin-off of its animal health business.
Financial Services, Payments & FinTech
- Western Union on the $910 million sale of Western Union Business Solutions to Goldfinch Partners and Baupost Group.
- China International Capital Corporation on its acquisition of KraneShares.
- Temasek on its investment in Ant Financial.
- Schroders plc on its acquisition of STW Fixed Income Management.
- Goldman Sachs Asset Management on its acquisition of Dwight Asset Management.
- China Life Insurance Company on its acquisition of all of the shares held by Citigroup and IBM in Guangdong Development Bank.
- TPG on its exit from Shenzhen Development Bank.
Industrials, Retail & Consumer
- Sonoco on numerous transactions, including its $1.35 billion acquisition of Ball Metalpack and acquisition of the remaining equity interest in its joint venture with the WestRock Company, RTS Packaging, and one paper mill for $330 million.
- CPP Investments on its $669 million purchases of depository receipts representing Class A and Class C shares of ReNew Energy Global from an affiliate of Goldman Sachs.
- China Renaissance on Auto Services Group’s public listing through de-SPAC with Goldenbridge Acquisition Limited.
- ABB on its $1 billion acquisition of Power-One.
- China Investment Corporation on its investment in AES Corporation and subsequent exit and a number of co-investments in the US and Canada.
- Lowe’s Companies on its acquisition of Boomerang Commerce’s retail analytics platform.
- Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of Gabriel Brothers.
- Yinyi Group on its acquisition of ARC Automotive.
Jonathan received his J.D., cum laude, order of the coif, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was an editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He received two graduate degrees from Duke University and his B.S. from Fudan University in Shanghai. Jonathan is fluent in English and Mandarin. He is admitted to the bar in the state of New York.