“an impressive track record ... in cross-border M&A, PE and JV”
Timothy represents Asian, European and US multinational corporations on cross-border M&A, private equity and joint ventures.
Timothy worked in Tokyo as an investment banker and lawyer for 11 years and draws on this experience to help clients navigate Asia’s complex regulatory environment. He previously served as the vice-chair of the Legal Services Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan.
He represents leading European and US clients in cross-border M&A, including those in Brazil, China, India and Russia, placing him in an ideal position to advise clients on the bespoke legal risks involved in emerging markets acquisitions. He also advises clients on their day-to-day legal and business issues, including corporate governance matters.
Timothy speaks English and Japanese.back to tab navigation
- Advising Hewlett-Packard Company on multiple engagements, including its global business separation, creating two separate publicly traded companies with revenues in excess of $50bn – the largest technology enterprise split in history.
- Advising Zhongwang USA on its $2.33bn acquisition of Aleris Corporation from a consortium of shareholders.
- Advising Duran Group, a portfolio company of firm client One Equity Partners, on its $131m acquisition of Kimble Chase Life Sciences & Research Products, LLC, a producer of scientific and laboratory glassware, from Gerresheimer and Chase Scientific Glass, Inc.
- Advising Zhejiang Geely on its purchase of Volvo Car Corporation for $1.8bn.
- Advising on the sale of Solvay Pharmaceuticals to Abbott Laboratories for $7bn.
- JD, Harvard Law School.
- MBA, Harvard Business School.
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Adjunct professor of International Law at Hunter College.
- Recently lectured at the Japan Society, Harvard, Yale and the University of Chicago on M&A and international law topics.
- Recently appointed by the mayor of the City of New York to serve on the boards of the NYC Economic Development Corporation (executive committee) and NYC Global Partners (president of the board) to further economic growth across all five boroughs and develop partnerships for the mayor’s local-to-global equity agenda.
- Serves on the board of directors of the City Bar Fund of the New York City Bar Association. The Bar Fund oversees the Justice Center (pro bono advice for low income residents), the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice (serves on the committee), the Office for Diversity and the Lawyers Assistance Program (support for lawyers suffering from mental health issues and substance abuse).
- Board member of the New York Public Theater.
- Pioneered the firm’s Legal Outreach Program for New York City high school students and sits on its advisory board.
- Co-chair of the firm's New York office Diversity and Inclusion Committee and has coordinated several initiatives with clients to improve inclusion and representation in the legal profession.
Awards / Recognitions
- 100 Leading Ethnic Executives 2017 – Highest-ranked lawyer at #11, as listed in the Financial Times.
- Minority Lawyer of the Year 2016, Chambers Diversity Awards, USA 2016.
- 100 Leading Ethnic Executives 2016 – Highest-ranked lawyer at #16, as listed in the Financial Times.
- CUP Catalyst: Change Agent 2014, The Council of Urban Professionals.
- Atlas 2010 M&A Deal of the Year for Geely’s acquisition of Volvo Car Corporation.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship in Public International Law.
- The Disrupters: Making New York’s Cultural Boards More Diverse.
- Mayor de Blasio Appoints New Members to NYCEDC Board of Directors.
- Mayor de Blasio Names Board of Directors of NYC Global Partners.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 284 4939
F +1 646 521 5739 firstname.lastname@example.org