About Thomas W. Walsh
Tom is a New York-based Partner in our top-ranked international arbitration practice.
Recognized for his work in international arbitration and US commercial litigation, Tom has served as counsel in numerous arbitrations under most of the major arbitration rules, and litigations in US federal and state courts. He has particular expertise in post-M&A, JV and licensing disputes primarily for clients in the life sciences, technology, private equity and industrials sectors.
A Spanish speaker, Tom is active in Freshfields’ Latin America arbitration practice, where he is counsel to foreign investors in investment treaty arbitrations, and in commercial arbitrations involving business in the region.
In addition to his counsel work, Tom sits as arbitrator in commercial disputes, and is active in several organizations focused on arbitration, including as a Co-Chair of CPR’s Tech Sector Committee, Co-Chair of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration’s UNCITRAL Committee, Deputy General Editor of the journal Arbitration International, and a member of the NY City Bar’s International Commercial Disputes Committee. In 2021, he co-authored the US chapter of the IBA’s arbitration and insolvency toolkit with US Bankruptcy Judge (ret.) Allen Gropper.
Prior to entering private practice, Tom clerked for the Hon. Juan R. Torruella, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. He holds a JD from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, and was a Fulbright Scholar in Ecuador.
- Representing BuzzFeed, Inc. and certain of its directors and officers in a pair of AAA arbitrations and litigation in Delaware courts addressing claims brought by BuzzFeed shareholders in relation to the company’s IPO.
- Representing Glencore Finance Bermuda in a UNCITRAL arbitration against Bolivia under the Bolivia-UK BIT claiming over US$800 million in damages arising from the expropriation of a tin and zinc mine, a tin smelter and other investments.
- Representing a multinational energy company in a post-M&A ICC arbitration in relation to a share purchase agreement.
- Representing a large pharmaceutical company in a potential AAA arbitration arising under a JV agreement.
- Represented a biotech company in an ICDR arbitration with a US patent aggregator concerning rights to a portfolio of biologics.
- Represented a US electronics company in two ICDR arbitrations defeating claims under a patent license.
- Advised a global entertainment company in opposing enforcement of a judgement of over US$1 billion in US federal and state courts.
- 2006, UC Berkeley School of Law, J.D.
- 1999, George Washington University, B.A.
- New York
- The Honorable Juan R. Torruella, United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2006-2007