About Tim van Helfteren
Tim is an associate in the Antitrust, Competition and Trade team in our firm's Amsterdam office. He specialises in competition law, State aid law, EU internal market law and regulated markets across a range of sectors, including telecommunications, energy, financial services, gaming and pharmaceuticals.
He has gained experience in complex EU and competition law litigation, including State aid, before the EU and Dutch courts. Tim is fluent in Dutch and English and also speaks French.
- Acting for multinational enterprises on their challenges before the General Court and Court of Justice of a European Commission State aid decision concluding that Belgian tax rulings on 'excess profit' amounted to unlawful State aid.
- Acting for a multinational client on its challenge before the EU courts of a European Commission State aid decision concluding that aspects of the UK's CFC tax rules constituted unlawful State aid.
- Representing UPS in its damage claim procedure against the European Commission in relation to the unlawfully prohibited UPS/TNT merger.
- Acting for Novartis in a license agreement dispute before the Dutch courts.
- Advising WP and Apax on the acquisition of T-Mobile Netherlands.
- Representing several organisations and academics in transparency cases before the General Court and the Court of Justice, challenging EU institutions on openness and accountability.
- King's College London, United Kingdom, LLM in Competition Law (Distinction)
- Tilburg University, the Netherlands, LLM in European Union Law (Cum Laude)
- Tilburg University, the Netherlands, LLB in Law