About Alicia Van Cauwelaert
Alicia specialises in European competition and regulatory law.
Her practice focuses on behavioural advice under EU law and/or co-ordinating advice provided across jurisdictions.
She has advised clients both in relation to contesting allegations under articles 101 and 102 of the EU Treaty and reaching settlement with the relevant competition authorities.
Alicia joined the firm in 1997 and was promoted to counsel in 2018.
She is co-author of the annually updated articles 'International Merger Notifications' and 'Complaints under EC Competition Law' for Practical Law's competition manual.
Alicia speaks English, French and Dutch.
- Advising Siemens on the worldwide merger control proceedings of the proposed transformative combination of Siemens' and Alstom's mobility businesses, which is now widely recognised as a landmark case for the European merger control regime.
- Advising on a long-running article 101 case in the financial services sector and successfully negotiating article 9 commitments with the European Commission.
- Providing antitrust advice on distribution agreements in a number of sectors.
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium (LLM, 1993-1994)
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland (LLB, 1989-1993)
- Admitted to the Brussels Bar (E List), 1998
- Solicitor, Incorporated Law Society of Ireland, 1996