About Alex Thomson
Alex is a restructuring and insolvency senior associate in our global transactions group.
Alex has experience acting for stakeholders across the capital structure as well as insolvency practitioners having acted for sponsors, lenders, ad-hoc groups of creditors, borrowers, administrators, prospective receivers and other key parties in the restructuring and insolvency market. Alex also has experience acting for borrowers and lenders on general finance transactions.
During his time at Freshfields, Alex spent six months on secondment with the Barings’ Public Fixed Income team where he focused on primary high-yield transactions along with special situations.
- Advising the SEAG sub-group of the Steinhoff group in respect of its most recent restructuring of approx €7bn of financial debt as well as general lender management and corporate governance.
- Acting for Credit Suisse on its exposure to the Greensill Group.
- Advising an ad hoc group of Takko Fashion's noteholders on certain aspects of the company's €830m restrucuring, which included a debt for equity swap via a high yield consent solicitation and reinstatement of c. €405m of existing debt.
- Advising Revlon in connection with the cross-border aspects of its Chapter 11 case.
- Advising prospective fixed charge receivers in respect of enforcement over certain high-profile assets.
- Advising the members of the Ad Hoc Committee of lenders on the financial restructuring of the AccorInvest group, which operates 887 hotels worldwide and employs over 26,000 employees in 28 countries.
- Advising the shareholders of Nordic Aviation in respect of Nordic Aviation’s scheme of arrangement and subsequent chapter 11 restructuring.
- Advising the RCF lenders to Virgin Atlantic with respect to its restructuring plan in 2020 and its subsequent recapitalisation in 2021.
- Advising Ted Baker in connection with amendments to its financing arrangements in connection with a recapitalisation of the group by way of an equity raise, in the context of the disposal of its headquarters and Covid 19.
- LLB, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Bachelor of Commerce, Politics, Philosophy and Economics, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Attorney, South Africa