Joaquin is a Dispute Resolution partner based in our Tokyo office.
Joaquin is an experienced advocate who represents clients in complex international disputes and negotiations, with wide experience in investor-State and commercial disputes both in international arbitration and U.S. federal courts. In addition to his expertise in international arbitration, Joaquin’s practice focuses on ESG (environmental, social, governance) issues ranging from risk assessment and due diligence to representing clients in ESG-related disputes, and is a member of the firm’s Sustainability Leadership Group. His experience includes also representing clients in global investigations, U.S. Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) litigation, U.S. and cross-border bankruptcy litigation, and general commercial disputes. He also has advised States on issues of public international law, including advising on compensation for victims of war crimes and the devolution of governmental authority to regional bodies.
Joaquin’s practice spans the globe, and in addition to Japan and Asia generally, he has experience representing clients based in, or facing disputes in, the United States, South America, Europe, and Africa. In addition to several States, he has assisted clients in a range of businesses, from extractive industries, including mineral resources, oil and gas exploration and production, and LNG pricing; to global financial services and investment firms, including in internal investigations; to cross-border telecommunications and technology companies, including in relation to data protection and cybersecurity; to the automotive industry, including in relation to supply chain disruption. Joaquin’s international arbitration experience includes matters under the arbitration rules of SIAC, ICC, LCIA, AAA, ICSID, and UNCITRAL, and he is on the panel or list of arbitrators for SIAC, HKIAC, KCAB, JCAA and LCIA.
Joaquin received his legal education at Fordham University School of Law, where he was on the Fordham Law Review and was captain of the Moot Court Board. He is admitted to practice in New York, including before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and is a member of the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States. Joaquin also is registered as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi in Japan, is a registered foreign lawyer in Singapore, and has been granted rights to appear before the Singapore International Commercial Court. Prior to joining Freshfields' Tokyo office, Joaquin worked for a leading U.S. firm in New York and London.
back to tab navigation
- Advising a Japanese energy investor before the ICSID in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration against Spain.
- Advising an Asian State in an investment treaty arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules brought by a U.S. investment fund.
- Advising a major Japanese energy company in LNG pricing negotiations.
- Advising a global sports broadcaster in its renegotiation of contracts with major Japanese sports leagues.
- Advising a major Japanese company in a dispute related to its construction of power plants in Africa.
- Advising a Japanese-owned mining company in a breach of contract dispute related to electricity pricing in South America.
- Advising a Japanese manufacturer in a contract termination dispute with European counterparties.
- Advising a leading mining company in an LCIA arbitration concerning the withdrawal of mining rights in a West African nation following an investigation that found its joint venture partner had obtained the rights through bribery and corruption.
- Advising a major international bank in bankruptcy and commercial litigation in the U.S. and multiple other jurisdictions arising from the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Advising a major telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration concerning a long-running dispute arising from the privatization of Brazilian telecommunications companies.
- Advising a global banking cooperative in an LCIA arbitration concerning a dispute with a former joint development partner related to electronic service offerings.
- Advising a leading U.S. tire company and its European affiliate in an ICC arbitration concerning a dispute with investors in a European manufacturing plant.
- Advising a brokerage firm in relation to an SEC investigation arising from allegations of illicit trading practices.
* Includes matters prior to joining Freshfields.
back to tab navigation
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude)
- Boston University, B.S. (cum laude)
- Boston University, B.A. (cum laude)
back to tab navigation
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, New York
- Registered foreign lawyer at the Singapore International Commercial Court
- Licensed to practise New York law in Japan (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)