About Charles Tay
Charles is an associate in the firm’s Antitrust, Competition & Trade Group. He specialises in the competition and foreign investment aspects of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, antitrust investigations and regulatory advice across Hong Kong, Greater China and the rest of the Asia-Pacific region.
He is currently based in Hong Kong as a registered foreign lawyer and has previously worked in the firm’s office in London.
Charles is fluent in English and Mandarin.
- Advising UBS on fast-tracked regulatory engagements tailored to the procedural nuances of each jurisdiction involved in its acquisition of Credit Suisse.
- Advising Korean Air across the APAC region on strategic merger control and regulatory aspects of its KRW1.8 trillion (approximately US$1.51 billion) acquisition of Asiana, merging the two largest airlines in Korea. This matter won Merger Control Matter of the Year for the Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa region at the GCR Awards 2023.
- Advising a global tech platform on strategic regulatory engagment and advocacy regarding incoming merger control and digital 'gatekeeper' reforms across the APAC region.
- Advising Li & Fung and Temasek on the merger control and foreign investment aspects of its US$3.6 billion sale of LF Logistics to Maersk.
- Advising Shenzhen Mindray on the merger control and foreign investment aspects of its proposed acquisition of Hytest Invest Oy headquartered in Finland from Summa Capital.
- Advising a global financial institution on an investigation by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
- Advising The Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd. on the global merger control and foreign investment screening aspects of its acquisition of Trelleborg Wheel Systems from Trelleborg AB.
- Advising a global tech platform on antitrust risks arising from certain product and service policies.
- Advising Permira on the merger control aspects of the US$2.76 billion sale of the Tricor Group to Baring Private Equity Asia.
- Advising ESR Cayman Limited on the foreign investment aspects of its US$5.2 billion acquisition of ARA Asset Management.
- University of Sheffield (LLB)
- University of Oxford (BCL)
- King's College London (Postgraduate Diploma in EU Competition Law)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Registered foreign lawyer, Hong Kong
- Advocate and solicitor, Malaysia (non-practising)