Madeline is a senior associate in our disputes practice, based in Madrid.
Madeline has experience acting in commercial and investment disputes in arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC and AAA/ICDR rules. She also advises clients on US sanctions issues, and has acted in global investigations, cross-border commercial litigation and pro bono matters. During her time at Freshfields, Madeline worked in-house with the Global Compliance team at Anheuser-Busch InBev as part of a client secondment. She was previously based in Freshfields’ New York office.
Madeline is fluent in English and Spanish.back to tab navigation
- Representing ConocoPhillips and several of its Dutch subsidiaries in an ICSID arbitration under the Netherlands-Venezuela BIT, arising out of one of the largest expropriations in history. In March 2019, the Tribunal issued a damages award of $8.7 billion—the largest ever ICSID award.
- Representing South32 in an ICSID arbitration under the United Kingdom-Colombia BIT in respect of Colombia’s measures attempting to extract additional royalties from the Cerro Matoso mining project.
- Advising Latin American Regional Aviation Holding S. de R.L. (LARAH) in its claim against Uruguay. LARAH’s claim relates to its 2010 investment in Uruguay’s former flag carrier airline, Pluna Líneas Aéreas (Pluna), and the forced sale thereof in 2012, as well as other measures by the government that breached Uruguay’s obligations toward LARAH under the Panama-Uruguay BIT.
- Representing ConocoPhillips in two joined ICC arbitrations against PDVSA governed by Venezuelan law, concerning PDVSA’s breach of contract, as well as a parallel ICSID arbitration. We were successful in those claims: in 2018, the ICC tribunal awarded ConocoPhillips $2 billion in damages. We then successfully took measures to enforce/recover on the award.
- Advising an energy and natural resources investor in an investment dispute under the UNCITRAL rules arising out of a government concession in Uruguay.
- Representing a US telecommunications company in an ICDR arbitration in relation to a contractual dispute arising out of a joint venture in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising a multinational corporation in a white collar investigation arising out of bribery allegations relating to a government concession in Peru.
- JD, cum laude, New York University School of Law.
- BA in government, cum laude with distinction, Cornell University.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
Paseo de la Castellana, 95
T +34 91 414 2576
F +34 91 308 4636