About Björn Sijtsma
Björn is a Principal Associate in our Antitrust, Competition and Trade practice in Brussels.
Björn advises clients on cartel, dominance and regulatory proceedings in the technology sector at both EU and national level, as well as EU merger control filings in a variety of industries such as energy, chemicals and telecommunications. He gained further insights into in-house commercial and business considerations during a 9 month client secondment at a global technology company.
Björn is admitted to practice law in Belgium and in the State of New York. He speaks English and Dutch.
- A global technology company on its defence against parallel antitrust investigations by the European Commission and the UK CMA, and on its defence and coordination of other antitrust proceedings around the world.
- A global technology company on its response to the CMA’s market study into online platforms and digital advertising.
- CK Hutchison on the EU merger control aspects of its acquisition of Veon’s share in the WindTre joint venture in Italy.
- Deutsche Telekom and Greek telecom group OTE on the EU merger control investigation of the sale of their Romanian fixed-line telephony division (formerly Romtelecom), to Orange.
- Liberty Global on the European Commission’s Phase II merger investigation of the €18bn sale of its German and Eastern European businesses to Vodafone, resulting in clearance based on an innovative cable access remedy.
- Evonik on the EU merger control aspects of its acquisition of chemicals manufacturer PeroxyChem.
- MásMóvil on its €18.6bn joint venture with Orange to combine their telecommunications operations in Spain.
- One Equity Partners on the staggered acquisition and combination of various portfolio companies in the IT space across the EU.
- New York University, United States (LLM, 2015-2016)
- University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands (LLMs in EU law and EU Competition law, cum laude, 2013-2015)
- University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands (LLB, cum laude, 2010-2013)
- Advocaat, Belgium (A-list of the Brussels bar)
- Attorney at Law, United States (New York)