About Diego Rueda
Diego is an associate in our international arbitration group, based in New York.
- Representing Glencore International AG in the first ICSID arbitration against Colombia in relation to adverse measures affecting its investment in one of the largest coal mines in Colombia.
- Representing Glencore Finance Bermuda in obtaining and enforcing a US$254 million award (plus interest) against the Plurinational State of Bolivia under the Bolivia-UK Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT)-the largest award ever rendered against Bolivia-relating to the nationalization of Glencore assets, including a tin and zinc mine and a tin smelter.
- Representing South32 in an ICSID arbitration under the United Kingdom-Colombia BIT in respect of Colombia’s measures attempting to extract additional royalties from the Cerro Matoso mining project.
- Representing Conoco Phillips in ICSID annulment proceedings brought by Venezuela to challenge a $8 billion ICSID award against the State relating to the expropriation of hydrocarbon and refining assets in Venezuela.
- Representing two mining companies in an ICC multi-party arbitration concerning the interpretation of the billings reconciliation provision of a certain maintenance and repair agreement.
- Representing two companies of a multi-Latin corporate group in an ICC arbitration against a Latin American state-owned petrochemical company, arising out of contractual breaches in respect of a joint venture to operate a fertilizer business.
- Representing Mexican telecommunications giant América Móvil in an ICSID Additional Facility arbitration against Colombia in relation to the expropriation of the assets held by Colombia’s largest mobile phone provider.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), New York University School of Law, New York (2017).
- Graduate degree in International Economic Law, Universidad Externado de Colombia, Bogota (2015).
- Law degree, Universidad de los Andes, Bogota (2013).
- Admitted to practice in Colombia (2013).
- Registered as a Foreign Legal Consultant in the State of New York (2019).