T +49 211 4979 214
F +49 211 49 79 10 3
Nicolas specializes in complex and multijurisdictional litigation and arbitration. He focuses on climate change risks, product liability and post-M&A disputes.
He is senior member of Freshfields' German product liability focus group, a senior member of Freshfields' German climate change litigation focus group and a member of Freshfields' European sustainability focus group.
Nicolas has extensive dispute resolution experience, having represented clients in 120+ court and arbitration hearings. He represents clients both in commercial litigation and arbitration (under DIS Rules and ad-hoc) as well as in mass claims and appellate litigation. He has advised clients in the automotive, healthcare, energy, transportation, food, optical, chemical, telecommunications, technology and private equity sectors. An experienced negotiator, he has been lead counsel in several multi-million euro settlement negotiations.
He has gained valuable experience in civil appellate litigation while being seconded to the law office of a leading attorney admitted to the German Federal Court of Justice (Rechtsanwalt am Bundesgerichtshof). He has also been seconded to Freshfields' Tokyo, Vienna and Hamburg offices. Previously, he has been a member of Freshfields' patent litigation practice.
Nicolas is fluent in German and English.back to tab navigation
- Lead counsel for a global food manufacturer in a DIS arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute
- Lead counsel in defending a leading European supplier of automotive parts against product liability claims brought by an OEM and coordinating the global defense against claims brought by customers
- Lead counsel for a global oil and gas company in cross-border insurance litigation
- Lead counsel for a private equity firm in litigation over claims for damages related to a cessation of rent payments during the COVID19 pandemic
- Co-lead counsel for a leading digital sales platform in a series of connected litigation proceedings over service contracts
- Co-lead counsel for a global private equity firm in a DIS arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute
- Team lead in defending a leading car manufacturer against product liability claims brought by fleet customers and public entities in vehicle emissions litigation
- Advising a leading car manufacturer on appellate litigation briefs filed with the German Federal Court of Justice in vehicle emissions litigation
- Advising a leading global pharmaceuticals, life science and chemicals company on ESG and climate change risks
- Advising a leading manufacturer of vehicle components on a product liability dispute with a supplier
- Defending a leading manufacturer of vehicle components against product liability claims brought by a railway operator
- Advising a global private equity firm in a post-M&A/insurance dispute
- Advising a leading global privaty equity firm on dispute resolution mechanisms for a share purchase agreement
- Advising a multinational paint and coatings producer on product liability claims in a mediation
- Advising a market-leading manufacturer of consumer products on potential product liability
- Advising a leading car manufacturer on general commercial and product liability law regarding the introduction of a connectivity app
- Advising an industrial engineering conglomerate on follow-on damage claims in antitrust litigation
- Representing a charitable foundation in an ad-hoc arbitration involving several jurisdictions and relating to claims for corporate ownership and lost profits
Dr. iur. (University of Münster)
LL.M. (London School of Economics and Political Science)
Associations and Memberships
GRUR - Deutsche Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V.
Rechtsanwalt (Deutschland)back to tab navigation
T +49 211 4979 214
F +49 211 49 79 10 3