About Noah Rubins KC
Noah is a partner in our International Arbitration Group in Paris and heads our global CIS/Russia dispute resolution practice group.
A barrister of England & Wales and qualified in the US and France, he has represented clients in over 100 arbitrations under ICSID, ICSID additional facility, ICC, AAA, SCC, VIAC, LCIA, ICAC, and UNCITRAL rules, including some 35 investment treaty disputes.
He specialises in mining, construction and energy disputes, pursuant to contracts and under the auspices of bilateral investment treaties.
Noah has practiced law in New York, Washington, Houston and Istanbul, and has also served as arbitrator in over 50 cases under ICC, LCIA, SCC, ICSID, VIAC, ICAC and UNCITRAL rules.
He speaks English, French and Russian fluently, and has a working knowledge of Spanish and Hebrew.
- Defending a Middle-Eastern gas supplier in ICC arbitration under an English-law governed contract, dealing with complex issues of force majeure, frustration, statutes of limitations, and contractual limitations of liability. The mandate resulted in the complete dismissal of several hundred million euros in claims advanced by the buyer, and an award of costs for our client.
- Representing an Eastern European general contractor against a State-owned employer in a wide-ranging dispute involving the construction of a hydroelectric dam in Latin America.
- Representing East Mediterranean Gas and its foreign shareholders in four parallel arbitrations under ICC, CRCICA, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules against Egypt and its state-owned entities in relation to the breach by Egyptian authorities of contractual and investment-treaty obligations incurred in connection with the 'peace pipeline', which carries Egyptian natural gas to Israeli customers. A first award of nearly $300m was recently issued in our client’s favour.
- Representing Rusoro Mining in an ICSID arbitration arising out of the expropriation of gold mining rights by the government of Venezuela, which resulted in an award of over $1.2bn.
- Representing Total in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina in connection with its investments in exploration and production, electricity generation and gas transportation pursuant to the France–Argentina bilateral investment treaty, resulting in an award of $270m, the largest ever issued against Argentina.
- Advising the Karachaganak consortium of multinational oil companies in a range of disputes arising out of production-sharing agreement in Kazakhstan, including issues of tax stability and cost recovery.
- Representing the Republic of Kenya in an ICSID arbitration brought by WalAm under the dispute resolution clause of a licence to exploit geothermal energy issued under Kenya’s Geothermal Resources Act.
Admitted in New York, Texas, and the District of Columbia
Barrister (Employed) and KC, England & Wales