About Eloi Roche
Eloi is an associate in our Global Transactions Finance group.
He advises on financial services regulatory matters in an advisory, a transactional and a pre-disciplinary/disciplinary context.
Eloi advises on both domestic and European financial services regulatory issues including, most recently, assisting financial institutions with the obtention of licences and change in control approvals, MiFID II implementation and Brexit planning.
He also regularly advises on the legal issues surrounding new financial instruments (crypto-assets, cryptocurrencies, ICOs), payment services, e-money and the use of technology in the financial sector.
Prior to joining Freshfields in 2020, Eloi was an associate at Linklaters in Paris.
He speaks fluent French and English.
Eloi’s landmark experience includes advising:
- BNP Paribas on the disposal of certain fund distribution business to Allfunds Bank;
- a Belgian credit institution on its intended acquisition of a French credit institution;
- a number of UK credit institutions and investment firms in relation to the reorganisation of their activities in the context of Brexit;
- a US credit institution on the establishment of its online banking and financial services platform in France
- a fintech company based in Asia on the roll-out of its crypto-asset-based remittance business and its authorisation as a payment institution in France
- Zilliqa Research Pte. Ltd. and Anquan Capital Pte. Ltd. on their private tokens offering
- a number of US/UK credit institutions and investment firms on governance, remuneration and anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing requirements
- a number of French/foreign funds managers in relation to the establishment and/or marketing in France of French and/or European funds
Eloi has also been in secondment to the regulatory team of AXA Investment Managers.
- 2016 - 2017: Paris Bar School, Paris
- 2013 - 2014: University of Paris II Panthéon Assas, Paris, France – Master II in business and tax law
- 2012 - 2013: University of Paris II Panthéon Assas, Paris, France – Master I in business and tax law
- Avocat à la Cour (Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2018)
Career to date
- January 2020: Associate, Global Transactions Finance Group, Freshfields Paris
- October 2017 - December 2019: Associate, Financial Regulation Group, Linklaters Paris
- January - June 2017: Trainee, Regulatory team (Asset Management and Investment Services Unit), French financial regulator – Autorité des marchés financiers
- July - December 2016: Trainee, Financial Regulation Group, Linklaters Paris