“pragmatic, brilliant... he gets it right... a real businessman lawyer”
Mitchell focuses on global business transactions, including M&A and leveraged buyouts, for international corporations and financial institutions.
He gained his extensive skills and knowledge through wide experience on both sides of transactions, acting as both adviser and principal.
From 2006 to 2013, Mitchell was a founding partner of Paine Schwartz Partners (formerly Paine & Partners), a leading US private equity firm managing a $1.2bn fund focused on investing in food and agribusiness.
Previously, Mitchell was a partner at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, where he concentrated on M&A, private equity, leveraged buyouts, corporate governance and securities law matters.back to tab navigation
- Advising Paine Schwartz Partners on its acquisition of Wawona Packing Company, and on Wawona’s subsequent acquisitions of Gerawan Farming and Burchell Nursey to create the largest stone fruit business in the United States.
- Advising Burford Capital on its $160m acquisition of GKC Holdings, the parent company of Chicago-based litigation finance and asset management firm Gerchen Keller Capital, combining the two largest litigation finance players in the world.
- Advising Paine Schwartz Partners on its sale of Icicle Seafoods to Cooke Seafoods, its acquisition of Global ID Corporation and its international acquisitions of Suba Seeds and Spearhead International.
- Advising Eurodrip, a portfolio company of Paine Schwartz Partners, on its merger with Rivulus Irrigation, creating the world’s second largest irrigation systems manufacturer.
- Advising MSD Capital on its significant investment in the $4bn buyout of UFC, joining WME-IMG, KKR and Silver Lake, and on its investment in the WIRB-Copernicus Group.
- Advising WireCo WorldGroup on its over $1bn debt and equity recapitalization, including refinancing $825m of existing debt and a $260m majority equity investment by Onex Capital.
- Advising Rexam on the $6.9bn cash and stock offer by Ball Corporation.
- Advising Smiths Group on its $710m acquisition of Morpho Detection. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- JD, Yale Law School.
- BS in accounting, New York University.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 277 4000
F +1 212 277 4001
Distinguishes himself with expertise in private equity, especially food and agricultural investing.