About Juan Pedro Pomés
Juan is a senior associate in our international arbitration group.
Juan’s practice focuses on investment-state and international commercial arbitrations, with a focus on Latin America. He has advised clients in multiple arbitration proceedings under ICC, ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility and UNCITRAL rules concerning disputes across a wide variety of sectors including oil and gas, electricity, infrastructure and mining. Juan has also acted as secretary of international arbitration tribunals in ICC and ICDR cases concerning disputes involving the infrastructure and the pharmaceutical sector. Juan regularly advises pro bono clients in human rights cases.
Juan is currently representing clients in disputes concerning major mining, oil and gas and electricity projects in Latin America.
- Representing The AES Corporation in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina.
- Representing Eco Oro in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia in relation to Eco Oro’s investments in a gold mine.
- Representing Glencore in two separate ICSID arbitrations against Colombia.
- Advising a group of Latin American subsidiaries of Glencore in a multiparty commercial ICC arbitration, in which the claims had a combined value in excess of $1bn.
- Representing Rusoro Mining in an ICSID Additional Facility arbitration against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela concerning the nationalization of Rusoro’s gold mining projects in southern Venezuela. The case concluded with an award in favor of Rusoro Mining in excess of $1bn.
- Representing Repsol in its ICSID arbitration against Argentina for the expropriation of their shares in YPF, Argentina’s largest oil company, and YPF Gas SA, an LPG distribution company. The case concludedwith a successful settlement worth over $5bn.
- Representing Serafín García Armas and Karina García Gruber in an UNCITRAL arbitration against Venezuela in relation to the expropriation of their investments in the food importation and distribution sector. The case concluded with a favorable award for our clients.
- LLM, University of Illinois, 2012.
- JD (Abogado), University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2009.