About Amr Omran
Amr Omran is a Senior Associate in our International Arbitration and Global Projects Disputes Practices based in Dubai.
Amr advises clients in construction, commercial and investor-state arbitrations involving contracts governed by major systems of law across a range of economic sectors. He has represented clients in major disputes under the ICC, DIAC, ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules. As a fluent Arabic speaker, he also regularly advises on procedural and substantive issues under the laws of various Middle Eastern countries.
Amr sits regularly as arbitrator and is a judge on the Appeals Panel of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). He is an officer of the IBA Arbitration Committee, a Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, an ICC YAAF Representative for the MENA Chapter, and a member of the Equal Representation for Expert Witnesses Pledge Young Practitioners Subcommittee.
Amr has been recognised as one of Africa's 30 Most Promising Arbitration Practitioners by the Africa Arbitration Academy, as an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers Global 2022 and as a Future Leader in Arbitration by Who's Who Legal 2023.
Before arriving at Freshfields, Amr worked at The World Bank in Washington, DC, and the Public Prosecution Office in Cairo.
He is admitted to practise law in Egypt and New York, and is registered as a Legal Consultant with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department.
- A joint venture in ICC arbitration proceedings against an EPC contractor in a US$150 million dispute arising out of the construction of a major oil and gas facility in the UAE.
- A major Middle Eastern oil company in an ad hoc expert determination in a US$460 million dispute with a contractor in connection with dredging and reclamation works.
- A multinational joint venture in DIAC proceedings against a State-owned entity in relation to a dispute concerning the construction of a megaproject in the United Arab Emirates.
- A group of Middle Eastern claimants in a multi-billion dollar dispute and parallel arbitrations against the State of Libya under the OIC Agreement and France-Libya BIT and pursuant to the UNCITRAL Rules.
- ICC Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings in relation to the unlawful call on two bank guarantees.
- Representing a major European contractor in set-aside proceedings in the ADGM Courts.
- A Chinese company in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Yemen in relation to a construction project.
- A multinational joint venture in a dispute with two major contractors in relation to the construction of an aluminium rolling plant in the Middle East.
- An Egyptian company and its foreign investors in an ICSID arbitration arising out of the collapse of a gas export agreement.
- A UAE telecommunications operator in an arbitration against its insurers under the DIFC-LCIA Rules.
- A major European contractor in set-aside proceedings in the ADGM Courts.
- Licence en Droit, Cairo University (honours), 2008
- LL.M., McGill University, 2009
- LL.M., Harvard Law School, 2013
- LL.M., The American University in Cairo (honours), 2015
- Amr is admitted to the Egyptian Bar Association and the New York Bar. He is also registered as a Legal Consultant with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department.