Chris advises on mergers, acquisitions, stock exchange listings and generally on the issues faced by public companies.
He has worked in a wide range of sectors across numerous jurisdictions, from Middle East oil and gas companies to Palo Alto tech companies. Chris has had three client secondments during his time at Freshfields – two to investment banks and one to be Executive Chairman of Newcastle United Football Club.
Chris has been recognised as a leading lawyer by Legal 500, Chambers, Legal Experts UK and Privatisation International.
While Chairman of Newcastle United, Chris established the Newcastle United Foundation and the club received both the regional and national awards of the Prince’s Trust for its work in supporting the Trust.back to tab navigation
- Much of Chris's time this year has been spent advising on the proposed sale of Sky Bet by CVC and Sky to The Stars Group for US $3.7 bn and on the IPO alternative to a sale.
- In addition to his time as Chairman of Newcastle United, Chris leads our sports practice and has advised on numerous matters in the sports sector, such as the enforced changes of ownership at both Liverpool and West Ham United, CVC on its acquisition of Formula One Administration, on aspects of the London 2012 Olympic Games and numerous stakeholders (such as clubs, owners, sponsors, retailers, gaming companies and broadcasters) on their interests in the sports sector.
- Chris has advised on the IPOs of more than 30 FTSE companies. He advised ConvaTec on its award-winning IPO - the UK's largest IPO in 2016. In recent years he has also advised on the London listed IPOs of B&M, Exova, Hastings Insurance, HellermannTyton, HSS Hire, Jimmy Choo, Merlin Entertainments and Saga. He has also worked on the IPOs of companies in numerous other countries around the world, including many privatisations, and on dual track processes leading to sales, such as CVC's sale of Sky Bet, Blackstone's sale of Center Parcs and Advent's sale of Priory.
- His M&A experience includes advising Jimmy Choo on its public auction leading to the sale to Michael Kors, Exova on the recommended offer by Element, Burford Capital on its acquisition of Gerchen Keller, DNO on its public offer for Gulf Keystone, bwin.party's recommended takeover by GVC, Clarkson's reverse takeover of Platou in Norway, CVC's acquisition of SkyBet, M&B’s successful defence of the approach from Piedmont, the sale of Mint Hotels to Blackstone, the final privatisation of OPAP in Greece and the sale of XL Airlines in Germany and France.
- Chris also advises on public debt issues for corporate clients, such as recent issues for Burford Capital, Debenhams, Hellenic Petroleum and Saga.
- Chris is Freshfields country partner for Greece, where he has advised on many privatisations, acquisitions, disposals and capital raisings, in addition to advising international clients on the challenges of doing business in Greece.
London65 Fleet Street
London EC4Y 1HS
T +44 20 7936 4000
F +44 20 7832 7001 email@example.com
Chris led the team that won the 2017 Capital Markets Team of the Year for the IPO of ConvaTec