About Ann Matthias
Ann is an associate in our International Arbitration Group and Global Projects Disputes Practice.
Ann is a projects and construction lawyer with a particular focus on arbitration, project delivery, construction litigation and other forms of dispute resolution, with experience acting for major contractors and developers in disputes regarding major infrastructure projects.
Ann is admitted to practice in New South Wales, Australia and is a registered foreign practitioner in Dubai. Prior to joining Freshfields, she worked in a top international law firm in Sydney, Australia.
- Advising a major oil and gas company in relation to multi-billion dollar defect claims arising from the design of an onshore gas processing facility in Australia.
- A contractor consortium in ICC arbitration proceedings brought against a project owner in connection with the design and construction of an ammonia and urea fertilisation plant in Algeria.
- A major oil and gas company in relation to multi-billion dollar defect claims arising from the design of an onshore gas processing facility in Australia.
- A leading global construction company in its dispute against a Middle East governmental entity regarding significant delay, disruption, and variation claims amounting to over US$400 million.
- A major railway employer in assessing claims from a consortium of contractors relating to delay, quantum, design and architectural issues with the construction of a major rail project in the Middle East.
- A Qatari power company in relation to in its dispute against a Middle East governmental entity arising in relation to a power and water project in Qatar.
- A major international company who designed, constructed and are operating and maintaining a water treatment facility in Australia.*
- A Chinese state owned contractor in a large-scale construction dispute being hearing in the National Court of Justice in Papua New Guinea.*
- A leading global construction company with respect to various disputes being heard in the Supreme Court of New South Wales relating to a University and Casino.*
- A leading global developer of renewable energy in relation to project delivery work relating to various solar and wind farms located across Australia.*
- A major international contractor with respect to a dispute being heard in the Supreme Court of New South Wales relating to the installation of Aquatherm pipes in a correctional facility.*
- A leading global developer of renewable energy in an expert determination against the Queensland government in defending a late payment claim.*
*Legal experience prior to joining Freshfields.
- Registered Legal Consultant, Dubai
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia
- Registered as a Practitioner of the High Court of Australia
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – The College of Law, New South Wales
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Commerce, Macquarie University