Ethan was promoted to Counsel in our global transactions group in 2022 and is qualified in both New York and England & Wales.
Having started his legal career at Freshfields in 2013, Ethan has developed a strong reputation with clients and is increasingly well-connected and prominent in his field. His practice focuses on representing issuers, sponsors and underwriters in connection with equity and debt capital markets transactions, and he has experience advising on transactions in the UK, Europe, Middle East and Africa. He takes lead roles on high-profile mandates, including the recent IPOs and other ECM transactions of Petershill Partners, Allfunds and Aston Martin Lagonda.
Ethan also advises on US and UK capital markets aspects of significant cross-border M&A transactions, including advising AstraZeneca on its $39 billion acquisition of Alexion and Rentokil Initial on its recent $6.7 billion acquisition of Terminix. He also advises clients on a range of US SEC reporting obligations.
In 2017/18, Ethan was seconded to the Equity Capital Markets Execution team at a major US investment bank where he gained valuable commercial insight.
Within the firm, Ethan sits on the global steering committee of Freshfields’ LGBTQ+ network.back to tab navigation
Recent initial public offerings
- Advising Synsam and CVC on the 2021 IPO of Synsam on Nasdaq Stockholm
- Advising Goldman Sachs Asset Management and Petershill Partners on the 2021 London IPO of Petershill Partners
- Advising Allfunds and Hellman & Friedman on the 2021 IPO of Allfunds on Euronext Amsterdam
- Advising Deutsche Bahn and Arriva on the proposed dual-track sale and IPO of Arriva in 2019
Recent follow-on equity offerings
- Advising Aston Martin Lagonda on its £654 million strategic placing and rights issue in 2022, its £125 million placing and strategic cooperation with Mercedes-Benz in 2020 and its £535 million placing and rights issue in 2020
- Advising CVC in connection with the June 2022 sell-down of Synsam shares, raising approximately SEK 450 million for the sellers
- Advising Hellman & Friedman in connection with the September 2021 sell-down of Allfunds shares, raising approximately €880 million for the sellers
- Advising Esken (formerly Stobart Group) on its £55 million placing and open offer and firm placing in 2021 and its £100 million placing and open offer and firm placing in 2020
Recent M&A experience
- Advising Rentokil Initial on its proposed $6.7 billion acquisition of Terminix
- Advising AstraZeneca on its $39 billion acquisition of Alexion
- Advising Nets and Hellman & Friedman on Nets’ €7.8 billion merger with Nexi
- Georgetown University Law Center, US (JD)
- Vassar College, US (BA)
- Attorney-at-Law, New York
- Solicitor, England & Wales
London EC2P 2SR
T +44 20 7716 4295
F +44 20 7832 7001