About Valeria Losco
Valeria is an Antitrust Advisor in our antitrust, competition and trade group, based in Washington, DC
Valeria advises clients on a range of antitrust issues, including the US merger control and review process, multijurisdictional merger control, anticompetitive conduct matters, and civil and criminal investigations by both federal and state authorities.
Valeria is Adjunct Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center, where she teaches International and Comparative Antitrust in the Spring Semester.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Valeria served as an antitrust legal consultant in the FTC’s Office of International Affairs (OIA). There, she was involved in the US-EC merger working group, tasked with updating the 2002 US-EU Best Practices on Cooperation in Merger Investigations; and in the US-EC Unilateral Conduct discussion group, designed to increase knowledge and mutual understanding of parallel jurisdictions’ policies.
Valeria also participated in US-EC annual consultations after assisting in their preparation, and in OECD related work.
Before moving to the US in 2006, Valeria served on the faculty of Bocconi University in Milan, Italy, where she taught courses and conducted academic research.
Valeria speaks English, Italian, and German.
- Advised AstraZeneca on its successful $39bn acquisition of Alexion including securing unconditional clearance in more than 20 antitrust and foreign direct investment jurisdictions.
- Advising KLX Inc. on its $4.2bn acquisition by Boeing Co.
- Advising AB InBev in western hemisphere merger clearance processes in its acquisition of SABMiller. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising Novartis on the sale of its animal health unit to Eli Lilly for approximately $5.4bn and, more recently, on its $2.1bn acquisition of Endocyte, a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing targeted therapeutics for cancer treatment.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson on the $4bn sale of Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, a leading diagnostic technology and manufacturing company to The Carlyle Group.
- Advising a financial services provider in an investigation into an international cartel brought by antitrust and banking regulators worldwide.
- Advising an international provider of civil and military aviation components and systems in the buyout of its aviation business.
- LLM, George Washington Law School.
- PhD, University of Pavia, Italy.
- JD, University of Milan, Italy.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and in Milan, Italy.
- Member of the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law.
- Non-governmental adviser to the US antitrust agencies in connection with the International Competition Network.
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center.