“She is very highly regarded in the field thanks to her ‘excellent subject matter knowledge’ and ‘great government experience.’”
Mary is a partner in our antitrust practice.
Mary focuses her practice on representing clients before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the US Department of Justice (DOJ), and the state attorneys general on the antitrust aspects of M&A, joint ventures, distribution and intellectual property arrangements, and other competitive conduct. Mary’s clients value her highly desirable mix of government experience and private practice, handling high-stakes international matters.
Before joining Freshfields, Mary served as an adviser to two FTC chairs, providing counsel on antitrust investigations, enforcement actions, domestic and international policy initiatives, public relations and congressional strategies. Prior to her post in the chairman’s office, Mary oversaw antitrust merger investigations as a lead attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition.
Mary is a leader in the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, serving for a number of years as a vice chair in Mergers & Acquisitions before moving to vice chair in Corporate Counseling. She frequently speaks on antitrust issues, most recently at numerous ABA teleseminars, a Canadian Bar Association teleseminar, a Raymond James Expert Network Q&A, a Washington, DC Women’s Antitrust Network (Grapevine) event, and the ABA Antitrust Spring Meeting.back to tab navigation
- Advising Rexam, the leading global beverage can maker, on global merger control aspects of the $6.9bn takeover by US rival Ball Corporation, which brought together the world’s two largest producers of drinks cans.
- Advising Novartis AG on the $5.4bn sale of its animal health business to Eli Lilly, a matter closely scrutinized before clearance by the FTC.
- Advising Continental AG, the German auto and truck parts manufacturing company, on its $1.6bn acquisition of Ohio-based rubber and plastics company Veyance Technologies Inc. from private equity firm Carlyle Group.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson on various transactions on an ongoing basis, including its $30bn acquisition of Swiss biotech company Actelion Pharmaceuticals; its $3.3bn acquisition of Vogue International LLC; and the $4bn sale of Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, a leading diagnostic technology and manufacturing company.
- Advising Carlson Hospitality Group Inc., an international corporation in the hotel and travel industries, on the global coordination of the sale of its international hotels group Carlson Hotels, Inc. (owner of the Radisson and Country Inn & Suites chains) to Chinese conglomerate HNA Tourism Group Co., Ltd, a division of HNA Group Co.
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School.
- BA, College of William & Mary.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Actively participates in the American Bar Association’s leadership.
- Frequent speaker at ABA programs.
- Currently vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Corporate Counseling Committee.
- Formerly a vice chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee.
Washington, DC700 13th Street, NW, 10th floor
Washington, DC 20005-3960
T +1 202 777 4566
F +1 202 777 4555 firstname.lastname@example.org
boost[ed] the firm’s civil litigation and M&A defense capabilities
2017 Ten Key Themes - Theme #9, Antitrust in a changing political and economic world Perspective
2016 Ten Key Themes - Theme #2, End-Game M&A perspective
2015 Ten Key Themes - Theme #7, Mission creep: preparing for EU scrutiny of minority investments perspective