“She is very highly regarded in the field thanks to her ‘excellent subject matter knowledge’ and ‘great government experience.’”
Mary focuses her practice on representing clients before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the US Department of Justice (DOJ), and the State Attorneys General on the antitrust aspects of M&A, joint ventures, distribution and intellectual property arrangements, and other competitive conduct.
Mary’s clients value her highly desirable mix of government experience and private practice, handling high-stakes international matters.
Before joining Freshfields, Mary served as an adviser to two FTC chairs, providing counsel on antitrust investigations, enforcement actions, domestic and international policy initiatives, public relations and congressional strategies. Prior to her role in the chairman’s office, Mary oversaw antitrust merger investigations as a lead attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition.
Mary is a leader in the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, serving for a number of years as a vice chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee before moving to vice chair of Corporate Counseling. She frequently speaks on antitrust issues, most recently at numerous ABA and GCR panels and events.back to tab navigation
- Johnson & Johnson on various transactions on an ongoing basis, including its $30bn acquisition of Swiss biotech company Actelion Pharmaceuticals; its $3.3bn acquisition of Vogue International LLC; and the $4bn sale of Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, a leading diagnostic technology and manufacturing company.
- Novartis AG on the $5.4bn sale of its animal health business to Eli Lilly, a matter closely scrutinized before clearance by the FTC.
- Starbucks Corporation on its $7.15bn global coffee alliance with Nestlé.
- Rexam, the leading global beverage can maker, on global merger control aspects of the $6.9bn takeover by US rival Ball Corporation, which brought together the world’s two largest producers of drinks cans.
- United Airlines on a number of joint ventures and other business opportunities.
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School.
- BA, College of William & Mary.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Actively participates in the American Bar Association’s leadership.
- Frequent speaker at ABA programs.
- Currently vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Corporate Counseling Committee.
- Formerly a vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Mergers & Acquisitions Committee.
Washington, DC700 13th Street, NW, 10th floor
Washington, DC 20005-3960
T +1 202 777 4566
F +1 202 777 4555 firstname.lastname@example.org
boost[ed] the firm’s civil litigation and M&A defense capabilities
Global Antitrust in 2019 - Ten Key Themes perspective