“a leading US employee benefits and executive compensation attorney”
Howard represents clients in connection with all employee benefits and compensation related aspects of corporate transactions, reorganizations, financing arrangements and public offerings.
His work includes negotiating, reviewing and drafting transactional documents, supervising due diligence, and identifying issues arising under, and assisting in complying with, the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, applicable labor laws, federal securities laws and applicable exchange regulations.
Howard’s practice consists of designing, negotiating and drafting equity-based compensation plans (including stock option, restricted stock and phantom equity arrangements); cash bonus plans; employment, consulting, termination, severance and change-in-control contracts; and restrictive covenant agreements, including non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality arrangements.
Howard also advises clients on the structure, implementation and administration of qualified and non-qualified employee pension, welfare and compensation plans, programs and arrangements, including the associated ERISA, federal tax and securities implications. He also provides counsel to management teams and boards of directors on executive compensation and change-in-control arrangements in connection with corporate transactions and reorganizations, and consults with senior executives and boards of directors on transactional strategies.
Howard actively assists clients with corporate governance and compliance matters, including preparation and revision of applicable securities filings, employee communications and public announcements.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Howard was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis in New York and, before that, he worked at other global New York-based law firms.back to tab navigation
- Advising KLX on the $4.2bn sale of its aviation parts and services business to Boeing and the spinoff of its energy services business (pending).
- Advising Formula One Group (F1), together with its shareholders including CVC Capital Partners, on the $8bn sale of F1 to Liberty Media Corporation.
- Advising Carlson Hospitality Group on its sale of Carlson Hotels to HNA Tourism Group, a division of HNA Group.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on the employment aspects of its $1.15bn sale of Frank Russell Company’s asset management business to TA Associates and Reverence Capital Partners.
- Zhongwang USA, a subsidiary of Zhongwang International Group, on its $2.33bn acquisition of Aleris Corporation from a consortium of shareholders led by Oaktree Capital Management along with Apollo Management and Sankaty Advisors.
- Advising Henderson Group on its $6bn all stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with AUM of more than $320bn.
- Advising AstraZeneca on its $7bn acquisition of a majority equity stake in Acerta Pharma.
- JD, Fordham University School of Law.
- BA, summa cum laude, philosophy, politics and law, State University of New York at Binghamton.
- Admitted to practice in the States of New York and New Jersey.
- Member of the Fordham Law Review.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 277 4047
F +1 646 521 5647 email@example.com
Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer for employee benefits/ERISA since 2012
Recognized as a leading lawyer in employee benefits and executive compensation since 2012