Desirée advises both international and Dutch clients on the legal and practical aspects of dealing with employees in the Netherlands.
Her advisory practice covers a wide array of general employment topics, including the hiring and firing of (executive) staff, employee consultation, collective bargaining agreements, whistleblowing policies, collective redundancies and restrictive covenants.
She also frequently advises on corporate governance matters as well as the design and implementation of employee incentive schemes and (executive) remuneration, in particular for listed companies and financial institutions.
Transaction wise, Desirée works closely with our Corporate and Finance practices in the Netherlands as well as our other offices around the world on (cross-border) transactions. She has for several transactions coordinated the employment and pension law aspects in a large number of jurisdictions. She furthermore has a particular focus on employee participation procedures in the context of SEs and cross-border mergers.
She also acts on contentious matters for our clients, varying from regular dismissal cases to outsourcing disputes.
Desirée speaks Dutch, English, Spanish and German.
Desirée has published articles on:
- executive pay (2013), in particular setting out Dutch requirements in relation to remuneration of managing directors of listed companies and financial institutions
- the opinion right of Dutch works councils (2011), analysing the scope of this right and its implementation in practice
- the role of employees in a cross-border merger (2008), analysing the implementation of the European Directive on this topic in Dutch law as well as the problems companies may encounter when dealing with this topic
- client guides and client bulletins, such as Freshfields’ International Labour Law Bulletin
- Advising several financial institutions on the Dutch bonus cap and related remuneration requirements.
- Advising Talpa on the employment and pension law aspects of its strategic collaboration with Telegraaf Media Group in the field of radio, television and over-the-top content (delivery of audio, video, and other media over the internet.
- Advising McCain Foods Limited, an international leader in the frozen food industry and the world’s largest manufacturer of frozen potato products, on the employment law aspects of its acquisition of a majority stake in the Van Geloven group, including subsequent acquisitions of Swinkels Ovenvers and certain brands from Royaan B.V.
- Harvard University, Summer School 2012 (International Corporate Governance, Negotiation & Organisational Conflict Resolution)
- Law Firm School 2008-2009 (Corporate law, Law of Obligations, Tax law, Banking & Securities law)
- Dutch Bar Association 2008-2009
- University of Barcelona 2006-2007
- University of Groningen 2001 – 2007, Master Degree in both Civil Law and Business Law
- Dutch Association of Young Employment Lawyers
- Freshfields’ European Employment Working Group and European Share Scheme Working Group
AmsterdamStrawinskylaan 10 1077 XZ
T +31 20 485 7000
F +31 20 485 7001