Tom advises clients on resolving disptues and mitigating risks in relation to Global Projects.
Tom is Counsel in our Dispute Resolution team, based in London. He acts for clients in all forms of dispute resolution, including international arbitration, litigation and ADR with a key focus on construction and engineering, infrastructure, transport, nuclear, utilities, energy, and oil and gas sectors, in addition to client's broader commercial interests.
Tom acts for corporate entities, owners/ operators, major contractors and public bodies involved in the development of major projects across the globe. He also advises on the management and mitigation of project risks, including in the structuring and negotiation of project agreements and construction contracts, public procurement and bid-challenges.back to tab navigation
- A global marine and construction contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings against two joint venture shareholders in relation to major marine and civil engineering work in an internationally renowned infrastructure project by the contractor group; and in disputes arising from enforcement of inter-JV shareholder corporate guarantees, and enforcement of project security by the employer against the JV contractor, in parallel ICC arbitration and litigation proceedings;
- a nuclear decommissioning contractor in relation to the successful challenge in the English High Court of the award by a public authority under the Public Contract Regulations of a contract for the decommissioning of 12 UK nuclear power stations and nuclear research sites;
- a midstream gas supplier in relation to the defence of three separate arbitration proceedings (including proceedings under the ICC rules) brought by downstream industrial customers for undersupply on the grounds of force majeure events, affecting upstream gas production and downstream supply to domestic customers and LNG producers;
- A JV nuclear decommissioning contractor in relation to the NDA’s competition for a Parent Body Organisation;
- Manchester City FC in its successful appeal before the Court for Arbitration in Sport against the ban imposed by UEFA for alleged breach of UEFA’s financial fair play regulations;
- a nuclear defence contractor in relation to the long-term supply agreements for nuclear submarine powerplants, including the regeneration and construction of new facilities for manufacture
- a train operating company in arbitration proceedings against a rail infrastructure owner in relation to a claim for contractual compensation arising from service delay and disruption;
- a metro operator in relation to a dispute, including adjudication proceedings, regarding the construction of a metro line extension and upgrade, including the quantum of compensation for an alleged failure to achieve the agreed efficiency targets;
- a power systems contractor in relation a dispute, including adjudication proceedings, regarding the design and construction of a 1000mw sub-sea power interconnector concerning and disruption to project completion and delay damages;
- an engineering design contractor in relation to UNCTITRAL arbitration under relating to defects in design and construction of a waste treatment and processing site;
- an LNG plant owner/operator in relation to a claim against the contractor for damage to a plant during commissioning, including
- a US LNG plant owner/operator in relation to a claim against the contractor for damage to a plant due to a fire during commissioning, including defects and project delay;
- a data centre owner in relation to claims against a contractor relating to delay damages, extensions of time and the standard of performance in the construction of a data centre.
- a Chilean paper manufacturer negotiating a package of EPC contracts, together with project security, for the construction of paper pulp mill in Brazil;
- an oil and gas company in relation to the repair, maintenance and reversion of a gas pipeline in Georgia/ Azerbaijan and Eastern Europe;
- a power generation company in relation to the construction and financing of an off shore wind farm in the UK, including advising on the structure of guarantees and other forms of project surety;
- a provider of enrichment services in relation to the purchase and development of its UK site.
- University of Edinburgh, UK (Law LLB (Hons))
- University of Oslo, Norway (ERASMUS exchange)
Admitted as a solicitor and a notary public in Scotland
Society of Construction Lawyers
Procurement Lawyers Association
Major Projects Associationback to tab navigation
London65 Fleet Street
London EC4Y 1HS
T +44 20 7936 4000
F +44 20 7832 7001