About Carl Hudson
Carl is a senior associate in our securities and shareholder litigation practice based out of Silicon Valley. Carl has represented companies, officers, and directors across the full range of federal and state securities class actions and internal investigations. He is also well-versed in matters concerning cryptocurrency companies.
Carl’s practice has covered the spectrum of securities litigation challenges that companies face. He has represented officers and directors in derivative and deal litigation before the Delaware Court of Chancery and other courts, and in federal securities litigation centering on allegations of fraud, registration, and disclosure issues. In particular, Carl has considerable experience with litigation arising under the Securities Act of 1933. He has had frequent experience litigating on behalf of biopharmaceutical companies and their principals facing securities fraud allegations in federal court. He has also conducted internal investigations aiding the boards, committees, and legal personnel of companies facing regulatory compliance concerns.
Before joining Freshfields, Carl was an associate in the San Francisco office of Paul Hastings LLP. During law school, he was a Kirkwood Moot Court quarterfinalist and won the award for Best Respondent’s Brief, in addition to serving as a coordinator for the Tax Pro Bono Project.
Carl has also maintained an active pro bono practice representing individuals in immigration and related state court proceedings.
- Defended Web3 company and founders in Section 5 litigation before the Southern District of New York.
- Defended digital trading card company in Section 5 litigation before the Southern District of New York.
- Defended founder and former CEO of SaaS technology company in expedited deal litigation before the Delaware Court of Chancery pertaining to take-private transaction.
- Defended former directors and officers of automotive technology company in cash-out merger deal litigation before Michigan trial, appellate, and Supreme Court.
- Defended pharmaceutical company in securities class actions related to FDA action in the District of Nevada and Southern District of New York.
- Represented board of medical device company in internal investigation pertaining to compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented board of pharmaceutical company in internal investigation pertaining to compliance with False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- J.D., Stanford Law School
- B.A., University of Southern California
- State of California