About Dr. Hanna Hoffmann
Hanna is an associate in our data and technology group. She advises national and international companies on all questions relating to new technologies, data, IT and cyber security, as well as media law.
In particular, Hanna focuses on advising on technology-driven projects, as well as on negotiating all types of agreements in the digital context. Further, drawing upon her PhD thesis on facial recognition and data protection law, Hanna regularly helps companies to comply with data protection legislation worldwide, including the European General Data Protection Regulation.
Furthermore, Hanna has significant experience in managing cyber incidents. She dealt with notifications obligations across the globe, helping with coordinating local counsels, and also handled related litigation before German data protection authorities.
In addition, she has experience in advising on M&A transactions on commercial aspects in IT/IP law, cyber security and data privacy compliance aspects.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Hanna worked as a research assistant at the Institute for Information, Telecommunications and Media Law (University of Münster) focusing on data protection law.
Hanna speaks German and English.
Online and digital
- Advising a global tech company on the data protection aspects of the interpretation and implementation of the DMA.
- Advising a teleshopping retailer on an investigation by the German Federal Cartel Office which had a data protection focus.
- Advising a tech client on various aspects of its mass claim defence.
- Advising leading automotive companies on their global data strategy, various data-driven use cases, the implementation of self-driving car technology and the data protection aspects of connected vehicles and digital services.
- Advising a global manufacturing company on the implementation of a retention concept for its data.
- Handling and coordinating responses on cyberattacks and data breach incidents including notification procedures with data protection authorities and affected data subjects globally
- Resolving pre-trial and trial data litigation cases with affected data subjects following cyberattacks and data breach incidents
- Providing data privacy-related advice to various companies in context of internal investigations and disciplinary measures
- University of Münster, Germany (Dr iur)
- Rechtsanwältin, Germany