“A pleasure to deal with, an adroit negotiator with technical and commercial acumen, and has an ability to anticipate opposing counsel’s moves in transactions”
Matthew is our US Managing Partner and the Co-head of our global M&A practice.
Matthew advises corporations, financial sponsors and other financial intermediaries on their public and private M&A needs, whether the transaction entails assets in the US or US counterparties, or entails investments or acquisitions in high-growth markets.
Matthew is a regular guest lecturer on M&A at many law schools, and has been a panelist at the Tulane Corporate Law Institute. He is also the only lawyer in the US to have been the lead partner on transactions recognized by the Financial Times in the first four years of their US Innovative Lawyer Awards.back to tab navigation
Cross-border corporate M&A
- Acting for InterContinental Hotels Group on its $300m acquisition of Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas from Pegasus Capital Advisors.
- Acting for HKSE-listed Global Brands Group on its $1.38bn sale of a significant part its North American business to Differential Brands Group, a portfolio company of Tengram Capital Partners.
- Acting for Starbucks Corporation on its $7.15bn global coffee alliance with Nestlé S.A. (ranked "Commended" in The Financial Times 2018 US Innovative Lawyers Awards).
- Acting for BASF, a German chemical company and the largest chemical producer in the world, on its €7.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and non-selective herbicide businesses.
- Acting for Dubai Aerospace Enterprise on the acquisition of AWAS, a global leader in aircraft leasing, from funds managed by Terra Firma and CPPIB (in a transaction named "M&A Deal of the Year" at the 2018 Aviation 100 Global Leader Awards).
- Acting for Henderson Group in connection with its $6bn all stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with AUM of more than $320bn.
- Acting for Dubai Aerospace Enterprise on the $2.1bn sale of StandardAero, one of the industry’s largest independent maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) providers, to an affiliate of Veritas Capital.
- Acting for Sysco Corporation on its $3.1bn acquisition of Brakes Group from Bain Capital.
- Acting for Japan Tobacco Inc. on its $5bn acquisition of the non-US operations of Natural American Spirit from Reynolds American; its acquisition of Logic Technology Development LLC, one of the leading US e-cigarette brands; and its more than $230m acquisition of Brazilian leaf tobacco suppliers Kannenberg & Cia. Ltda. and Kannenberg, Barker, Hall & Cotton Tabacos Ltda.
- Acting for Mast-Jägermeister on its acquisition of the Sidney Frank Importing Company (SFIC), the NY-based alcohol brands distributor.
- Acting for Foster Wheeler (Nasdaq: FWLT) on its approximately $8.5bn mixed cash and stock business combination with AMEC plc.
- Acting for Travelex, the world’s leading foreign exchange specialist, on the $964m sale of its business payments operations, Travelex Global Business Payments, to The Western Union Company (ranked “Commended” in the Financial Times 2011 US Innovative Lawyer Awards) and on the $458m sale of its prepaid Card Program Management business to MasterCard.
- Acting for K+S AG, the DAX-listed salt products and fertilizers group, on its $1.7bn acquisition of Morton Salt (ranked “Highly Commended” in the Financial Times 2010 US Innovative Lawyer Awards) and its $500m acquisition of SPL, the Latin American salt producer.
- Acting for Magnum Coal Company, a portfolio company of ArcLight Capital Partners, on the sale to Patriot Coal Corporation in an SEC-registered stock-for-stock transaction valued at approximately $1.4bn.
- Acting for Linde A.G. on its sale of INO Therapeutics, a leader in gaseous drugs, and its reinvestment in Ikaria Holdings, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital, in a transaction valued at $670m.
Financial sponsor M&A
- Acting for CVC Capital Partners in connection with the $8bn sale of Formula One Group to Liberty Media Corporation.
- Acting for global private equity firm Advent International in connection with its $2.2bn sale of behavioral healthcare services provider Priory Group; and its $1.1bn acquisition of the coatings resins business of Cytec Industries Inc.
- Acting for the Chief Executive Officer, Chairman and Founder of RealD, Inc., the NYSE-listed global visual technology company, in connection with the more than $550m going private leveraged buyout by Rizvi Traverse.
- Acting for Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of a majority stake in Source Holdings Limited, a leading European exchange-traded product provider; and in connection with its portfolio company MACH’s approximately $700m sale to Syniverse, and acquisitions of Cibernet and of WorldCell’s roaming service business.
- Acting for Global infrastructure fund EQT in connection with its $420m acquisition by tender offer of Westway Group, Inc.
- Acting for Goldman Sachs PIA and Permira on the $3.8bn sale of Cognis, a German producer of food and cosmetics ingredients, to BASF.
- Acting for Permira in connection with its €2.1bn leveraged buyout (with KKR) of the pan-European television and radio operator SBS Broadcasting SA.
- Acting for the sponsor consortium owners (including Apax, Atlas, 3i and Doll Capital Management) of eDreams, Inc. on the €153m sale to TA Associates.
- Acting for Fox Paine on the disposition of the North American canola business of Advanta BV to Monsanto Company.
- Acting for the financial adviser to the Special Committee of Apollo Residential Mortgage, in connection with its approximately $640m merger with Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance.
- Acting for the financial advisor to MCG Capital Corporation, in connection with the $175m sale of MCG Capital Corporation to PennantPark Floating Rate Capital, Ltd.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Medtronic, in connection with Medtronic’s announced $42.9bn cash and stock inversion acquisition of Covidien, in a transaction that values the combined company at more than $100bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Corio N.V. in connection with Klépierre S.A.’s offer to acquire Corio in a transaction that values the combined company at more than €10bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Tyco in connection with the “Reverse Morris Trust” merger of Tyco’s flow control division with Pentair, Inc., in a transaction that values the combined company at approximately $7.7bn.
- Acting for the financial adviser to Techtronic Industries on its $713m acquisition of Sweden’s Atlas Copco.
- JD, magna cum laude, Albany Law School, lead articles editor for The Albany Law Review.
- BA in economics, Emory University.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Member, the Board of Trustees of Albany Law School.
- Guest lecturer on M&A topics at Yale Law School and Columbia Law School.
- Served as panelist at the Tulane Corporate Law Institute and at several other M&A conferences.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 277 4037
F +1 646 521 5637
Provides great expertise and fantastic service levels.
Excellent all-around, Matthew Herman has an ascendant profile in the New York M&A world. Sources say he provides ‘clever solutions to difficult problems.’