About Claire Harrop
Claire is a senior associate in our financial institutions group. She advises on financial services regulatory matters, both transactional and purely advisory. Claire is one of the co-founders of the firm’s global Fintech group.
Claire spends her time advising on a wide range of financial services regulatory matters: from stand-alone regulatory advice to regulatory aspects of public and private transactions to providing expert input on potential disputes.
As might be expected given her financial services practice and scientific background, Claire is keenly interested in developments in the Fintech space - in particular payments, cryptoassets (including CBDC), DLT and the metaverse. She co-founded the Freshfields Fintech group in 2013 and is regularly invited to speak at industry events. In 2022, she was included as a "rising star" on Law.com's annual list of the UK’s best 25 up and coming women in law and as a "rising star" in Euromoney's Rising Stars Expert Guide.
Claire has been on secondment to Deutsche Bank, Visa Europe and the London Stock Exchange.
Recent work includes advising:
- UBS on its acquisition of Credit Suisse
- JP Morgan on:
- its acquisition of Nutmeg Saving and Investment
- its acquisition of a stake in Viva Wallet
- its acquisition of Global Shares
- London Stock Exchange on:
- its $27bn all share acquisition of Refinitiv and related sale of Borsa Italiana
- its defence of an unsolicited £32bn approach from HKSE
- its £21bn proposed merger with Deutsche Börse
- Nets on its merger with Concardis
- General Atlantic on its investment in Modulr
- Cinven on its investment in International Financial Group Limited
- AllFunds on its acquisition of a majority stake in MainStreet Partners
- Various global financial institutions and fintech companies on the implementation of MiFID 2, Brexit planning, recovery and resolution planning, potential uses of blockchain and new payment products
- The Queen's College, University of Oxford (Master of Physics)
- Oxford Brookes University (graduate diploma in law)
- BPP Law School, London (legal practice course)
- Solicitor, England and Wales