Joseph represents public and private companies and private equity sponsors in a wide range of significant transactions, corporate governance issues and securities law matters, including M&A, private equity investments, strategic sales and joint ventures, domestic and cross-border transactions, IPOs and SPAC transactions, debt and equity financings, and SEC reporting and compliance issues. Joseph also regularly advises boards of directors and management with governance and fiduciary duty matters, activist investor situations, takeover preparedness and investor relations, media and PR matters.
Joseph was recently ranked in 2019 and 2020 as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for M&A, recognized with a 2019 California “Trailblazer” award by The Recorder and has been consistently named in IFLR1000. He was also recognized by The Daily Journal with a 2016 California Lawyer “Attorney of the Year” award for his work on the Broadcom-Avago merger.
Joseph is the Founder and Co-Chair of the GC Executive Fellowship Program launched in partnership with Berkeley Law. The program brings together select Bay Area general counsel from leading technology and life sciences companies and private equity firms to network with their peers and discuss emerging business and legal issues.
Supplementing his active involvement advancing a variety of programs at Berkeley Law and the Berkeley Haas School of Business, Joseph founded and oversees the Emma and Joseph H. Halloum Business Competition and Negotiation Competition. The Business Competition is the first and only one in the nation to combine the disciplines of a university's law school and graduate business school in a negotiation case competition. The Negotiation Competition is an internal honors competition at Berkeley Law which aims to develop corporate law negotiation skills for first-year law students.back to tab navigation
- Delphi Technologies on its $3.3 billion sale to BorgWarner.
- Del Frisco’s Restaurant Group on its $650 million sale to L Catterton.
- Smart & Final Stores on its $1.12 billion sale to Apollo Global Management.
- Vista Equity Partners on numerous software, data and technology acquisitions, including its $1.55 billion acquisition and split up of The Advisory Board Company’s education business, $1.6 billion take-private of Infoblox, $564 million take-private of Xactly, $2 billion take-private of Apptio and $2 billion take-private of MINDBODY.
- HGGC on numerous matters, including its acquisition of Zoo Printing, $825 million take-private of Monotype Imaging, $555 million take-private of RPX and $450 million take-private of Nutraceutical International.
- Fortress Credit Advisors on the financing of its $440 million take-private acquisition of Perry Ellis.
- Broadcom on numerous matters, including its $37 billion sale to Avago Technologies; $164 million carve-out acquisition of LTE-related assets from Renesas Electronics; and $3.7 billion acquisition of NetLogic Microsystems.
- LSI Corp. on its $6.6 billion sale to Avago Technologies.
- Lattice Semiconductor on its $600 million acquisition of Silicon Image.
- NPC International, the largest Pizza Hut and Wendy’s franchisee, and its owner Olympus Partners, on its sale to Durational Capital.
- Yahoo! on several matters, including in connection with Alibaba’s $25 billion IPO and sale of a $16 billion ownership stake in Alibaba in a series of transactions; and agreements with Alibaba, Softbank Corp. and Alipay.com regarding the $4 billion restructuring of Alibaba’s Alipay business.
- Dell on its $2.4 billion acquisition of Quest Software.
- The Walt Disney Company on its $4.05 billion acquisition of Lucasfilm.
- NDS Group, and its owners News Corp. and Permira Funds, on its $5 billion sale to Cisco Systems.
- Cayan and its owner Parthenon Capital Partners on its $1.05 billion sale to TSYS.
- Vaco Supply Chain Solutions on its simultaneous acquisitions of supply chain technology providers MEBC Global and Plantensive.
- Sizmek, and its owner Vector Capital, on its $145 million take-private of Rocket Fuel.
- True Wind Capital on its take-private of ARI Network Services.
- WL Ross Holding Corp., and its sponsor WL Ross & Co, on its $1.6 billion acquisition of Nexeo Solutions and its $500 million SPAC IPO.
- Macquarie Capital, as co-sponsor, in the Hydra Industries SPAC IPO.
- Renaissance Learnings, and its owner Permira Funds, on its $1.1 billion sale to Hellman & Friedman.
- Steinway Musical Instruments on its $512 million sale to Paulson & Co.
- Peak Rock Capital and Natural American Foods on the acquisition of Sweet Harvest Foods and Pretzels.
- Penhaligon's and L'Artisan Parfumeur and its owner Fox Paine & Company on its sale to affiliates of PUIG.
- Calera Capital on numerous matters, including its investment in Transaction Services Group.
- Global Indemnity and its owner Fox Paine on its $114 million acquisition of American Reliable Insurance Company from Assurant.
- Sentinel Capital Partners on its acquisition of Total Military Management.
- Veritas Capital on its $485 million offering of senior notes by Standard Aero to fund Veritas Capital’s acquisition of Standard Aero.
- Rhapsody on the transfer of Telefonica’s music streaming business in South America and related investment by Telefonica in Rhapsody.
- Tranzyme on its merger with Ocera Therapeutics and related $20 million PIPE financing.
Joseph has also represented numerous companies and boards in connection with activist and unsolicited takeover situations, the majority of which remain confidential. Among publicly disclosed situations, he has advised Del Frisco’s in its settlement with Engaged Capital, Yahoo! in its settlement with Third Point, Autodesk in its settlements with Sachem Head Capital Management and Eminence Capital and Tessera Technologies in its settlement with Starboard Value.back to tab navigation
- University of California, Berkeley – School of Law (J.D.)
- University of California, Berkeley – Haas School of Business (B.S.)
- University of California, Berkeley – College of Engineering (CET)
- District of Columbia
Silicon Valley2710 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
T +1 650 618 9288
Rising Star for M&A
California Lawyer “Attorney of the Year” Award
Recognized among leading M&A lawyers
Recipient of a California “Trailblazer” Award