About Dr. Katrin Gaßner
Katrin specialises in German and European merger-control and cartel law, and is an active member of Freshfields’ global investigations group.
Her broad experience of mergers includes involvement in various large phase two cases. She also has wide-ranging experience in worldwide compliance systems and audit procedures, and adapting them to the specific needs of clients. Katrin provides all aspects of compliance advice, including internal and external investigations, the set-up of compliance structures and training.
Her clients are primarily in the consumer, healthcare, retail, construction and transportation sectors.
Katrin also provides pro bono legal advice to a German charity that offers a safe haven to homeless or otherwise socially disadvantaged girls and young women.
She speaks German, English and French.
- Advising Lufthansa on its entry in ITA Airways
- Advising Holcim on transactions involving Cemex, West, Cemex, Spain and Lafarge.
- Acting on behalf of Holcim since 2008 in the EU's cement cartel investigation, which closed in the summer of 2015 without any negative findings against Holcim.
- Acting on behalf of a major German retail client in the European Commission’s sector inquiry into e-commerce topics.
- Universities of Bonn, Germany (PhD) and Strasbourg, France