John A. Fisher is a founding partner of our Silicon Valley office who advises some of Silicon Valley’s most innovative and pioneering companies in their technology and life sciences mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
John additionally acts as regular counsel to both U.S. and international clients as they enter the Silicon Valley market or partner with established Silicon Valley companies.
John was named the “Best California Lawyer - Pharmaceutical M&A” by Acquisition International.
Prior to practicing law, John studied Biochemical Sciences at Harvard University and was a civil rights activist. John is a member of Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF) which is the nation's oldest and largest association of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons in the field of law.back to tab navigation
Select technology M&A experience:
- Salesforce in its $1.33 billion acquisition of cloud and mobile software provider Vlocity.
- Salesforce in its acquisition of B2B commerce platform CloudCraze.
- Splunk in its $1.05 billion cash and stock acquisition of cloud monitoring leader SignalFX.
- Splunk in its $350 million cash and stock acquisition of Phantom Cyber.
- Cielo in its $670 million acquisition of a California-based global payment solutions provider.
- HP Inc. in the global sale of certain software assets to OpenText involving over 25 non-U.S. jurisdictions.
- HP Inc. in its sale of a highly regulated subsidiary.
- SEGA Networks in its acquisition of Demiurge Studios.
- Symantec in its acquisition of VPN provider SurfEasy.
- Symantec in its acquisition of benefit enrollment provider Excelsior Companies.
- Cooliris, a photo app-maker startup, in its sale to Yahoo!
- Provigent, an Israel-based semiconductor company, in its $335 million sale to Broadcom.
- A non-US company in its $170 million acquisition of a California-based software company.
- Skype in its acquisition of several emerging companies.
Select life sciences M&A experience:
- Foundation Medicine in its acquisition of precision oncology company Lexent Bio.
- Hoffmann La-Roche and its affiliates in the $1.7 billion cash acquisition of publicly-traded cancer therapy company Ignyta.
- Genentech in its $1.725 billion acquisition of biotechnology breast cancer treatment company Seragon Pharmaceuticals.
- Hoffmann La-Roche and its affiliates in the collaboration and option to acquire early stage MS development program Versant incubator Inception 5.
- Novira Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical HBV treatment company, in its sale to Johnson & Johnson.
- Roche Molecular Systems in its $125 million acquisition of DNA sequencing company Genia Technologies with up to $225 million in contingent-based payments.
- Roche Molecular Systems in its acquisition of genomic analysis company BINA Technologies.
- A China-based pharmaceutical company in its $95 million purchase of biological compounds and other assets of a San Francisco-based research company.
- A San Francisco-based R&D company in its acquisition of a human antibody producing modified rat platform.
Select joint venture experience:
- The Lagunitas Brewing Company in its 50:50 joint venture with Heineken.
- UniGroup, a global transportation company, in board advice related to structuring and implementing technology joint ventures in Silicon Valley.
- UniGroup in its first technology joint venture.
- Monsanto Company in its life sciences joint venture with Pairwise Plants to advance agriculture R&D leveraging gene-editing technology.
- Monsanto Company in the formation of Innovative Seed Solutions, a life sciences joint venture with Remington focused on sorghum development, including related joint ventures in Mexico and Brazil.
- PayPal in a proposed cross-border technology joint venture related to assets valued at more than $1 billion.
- A state-owned oil and gas company in legal arrangements related to $5.8 billion in assets with two Italian energy companies.
- Experian in its technology joint venture and commercial arrangements with FICO.
- Renaissance Capital in its joint venture with Royal Bank of Scotland to issue and market currency, interest rate and credit derivative products in Russia and Eastern Europe, and in the subsequent termination of said joint venture following RBS’s acquisition of ABN Amro.
- Viking River Cruises in a joint venture related to the operation of Russian river vessels.
- Immoeast in the restructuring of a €1bn cross-border joint venture.
- Goldman Sachs in a joint venture to buy and sell consumer debt.
- New York
- Columbia School of Law, J.D., 2004 Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Senior Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harvard University, B.A. in Biochemical Sciences, 1999
Silicon Valley2710 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
T +1 650 618 9247
Best California Lawyer - Pharmaceutical M&A