“broad international legal and business experience key to delivering value for US and global clients”
Aly is a partner based in our New York office.
Aly advises on public and private takeovers, private equity transactions, corporate governance and general securities and corporate law. His transactional practice encompasses both domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. Aly regularly advises clients in a wide variety of industries including private equity, financial services, asset management, energy, consumer goods and healthcare.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Aly was a partner at Cadwalader and, prior to that, an associate at Davis Polk. He also worked at the National Basketball Association (NBA) on the business side for two years.
Aly is fluent in Arabic and French and conversant in Italian.back to tab navigation
- Advising Deutsche Bank AG on the sale of its alternative fund businesses to Apex Group Ltd. and Genstar Capital.
- Advising BASF, German chemical company and the largest chemical producer in the world on its €5.9bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and non-selective herbicide businesses.
- Advising Burford Capital on its $160m acquisition of GKC Holdings, LLC, the parent company of Chicago-based litigation finance and asset management firm Gerchen Keller Capital, LLC, combining the two largest litigation finance players in the world.
- Advising Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. on its $2.5bn proposed inversion combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals, and its $15.6bn acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Advising Mercuria Energy Group Limited on its acquisition of JPMorgan’s physical energy and commodities business.
- Advising Banco Santander on its $1.9bn acquisition of Sovereign Bancorp.
- Advising Citigroup on its sale of a majority stake in retail broker Smith Barney to Morgan Stanley.
- Advising Barclays on its sale of US power and natural gas commodities trading assets to Citigroup Energy.
- JD, Columbia Law School, James Kent scholar and Harlan Fiske Stone scholar.
- BEE, with honors, McGill University, Canada.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Board member of the Columbia Law School Association.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 284 4938
F +1 646 5215738 email@example.com
Aly El Hamamsy has been recognized as a ‘key member of the team’ noting his work on a $12bn acquisition in 2015.