“Aly El Hamamsy's 'experience, ability and straightforward style make him a very good go-to lawyer for US M&A.'”
Aly advises on public and private takeovers, private equity transactions, corporate governance and general securities and corporate law.
His transactional practice encompasses both domestic and cross-border M&A and joint ventures. Aly regularly advises clients in a wide variety of industries including private equity, financial services, asset management, energy, consumer goods and healthcare.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Aly was a partner at Cadwalader and, prior to that, an associate at Davis Polk. He also worked at the National Basketball Association (NBA) on the business side for two years.
Aly is fluent in Arabic and French and conversant in Italian.back to tab navigation
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on its $27bn acquisition of Refinitiv from a consortium including Blackstone, CPPIB, GIC and Thomson Reuters.
- Advising Continental AG on its acquisition of Cooper Standard’s anti-vibration systems business.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on the sale of its alternative fund businesses to Apex Group and Genstar Capital.
- Advising BASF, a German chemical company and the largest chemical producer in the world on its €5.9bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and non-selective herbicide businesses.
- Advising the independent directors of the board of directors of Altice USA in connection with its separation from Altice NV.
- Advising Unimin Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sibelco, on its forthcoming merger with Fairmount Santrol.
- Advising Burford Capital on its $160m acquisition of GKC Holdings, the parent company of Chicago-based litigation finance and asset management firm Gerchen Keller Capital, combining the two largest litigation finance players in the world.
- Advising Salix Pharmaceuticals on its $2.5bn proposed inversion combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals, and its $15.6bn acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International.
- Advising Mercuria Energy Group on its acquisition of J.P.Morgan’s physical energy and commodities business.
- Advising Banco Santander on its $1.9bn acquisition of Sovereign Bancorp.
- Advising Citigroup on its sale of a majority stake in retail broker Smith Barney to Morgan Stanley.
- Advising Barclays on the sale of its US power and natural gas commodities trading assets to Citigroup Energy.
- JD, Columbia Law School, James Kent scholar and Harlan Fiske Stone scholar.
- BEE, with honors, McGill University, Canada.
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Board member of the Columbia Law School Association.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 284 4938
F +1 646 5215738
Aly El Hamamsy has been recognized as a ‘key member of the team’ noting his work on a $12bn acquisition in 2015.