About James Duncan
James specialises in derivatives and structured finance transactions.
James focuses on derivatives and structured products and also has very broad experience across a range of other structured finance and capital markets based transactions and has been recognised for his versatility.
James’ experience in derivatives and structured finance covers a full range of asset classes and products. He has notable experience in equity, credit, interest rate and fx derivatives as well as commodity, fund-linked and other products.
James has notable experience of strategic equity financing transactions including margin loans, equity collars, pre-paid forwards, call spreads, total return swaps, repos, structured share buy-backs, stock loans and other transactions and related collateral and security arrangements.
James advises a broad range of clients including corporate clients, financial institutions, asset managers and others.
- Corporate client in respect of its £1.2billion investment in a UK plc through an equity collar financing.
- Syndicate of investment banks in respect of a £750m margin loan financing secured over shares in a UK plc.
- Syndicate of investment banks in respect of a €490m margin loan financing secured over shares in a German company.
- Investment bank in respect of a €100m stake building, equity forward transaction in respect of a Luxembourg company.
- Syndicate of investment banks in connection with India’s first synthetic rupee denominated, $110m equivalent, margin loan to a borrower.
- Investment bank in respect of collar financings to companies in numerous jurisdictions related to shares listed in a range of different jurisdictions.
- Structured share-buyback transactions conducted in a wide range of different jurisdictions.
- Hedge Banks and counterparties in respect of deal contingent hedging transactions in a wide range of circumstances.
- Hedge funds, banks and other clients in respect of credit derivative transactions including bespoke, negotiated CDS and advice in connection with events under the Credit Derivative definitions.
- Regulatory issues associated with derivatives & structured products.
- Banks, corporates and other counterparties on a wide range of other OTC derivative transactions including credit derivatives, interest rate and FX derivatives, fund-linked derivatives, inflation derivatives, longevity derivatives and commodity derivatives.
- Swap providers, borrowers, lenders, issuers and other parties on the hedging and related intercreditor arrangements in respect of numerous financing transactions.
- Range of clients in connection with the restructuring and amendment of derivative transactions including as part of the restructuring of wider, complex structured debt transactions.
- Clients in connection with numerous structured note issues, repackagings and other SPV based transactions relating to an extensive range of asset classes including credit-linked notes, equity linked notes, fund-linked notes and commodity-linked notes.
- Banks and borrowers in connection with receivables financing transactions including leading the UK and European aspects of several US/Europe ABL financings including receivables in the UK and a range of other European jurisdictions.
Includes experience gained at other firms.
Natural Sciences, Cambridge University (Trinity College)
Law, College of Law