“‘one of the world’s leading lawyers’ in banking and finance”
Jim is a partner based in the New York office and leads the US leveraged finance team.
During his 35-plus years’ experience as a banking lawyer, Jim has been involved in many of the most iconic and complex syndicated financings.
He has represented numerous financial institutions and sponsors, investors and corporate clients in all areas of private financings, with a particular focus in the areas of acquisition and leveraged financings, bridge financings and restructurings.
His corporate clients have included Alcoa, Cendant, Colgate-Palmolive, Avis, Express Scripts, First Data, Royal Caribbean and Norfolk Southern. Sponsor clients have included CVC Capital, Paine & Partners, BC Partners, Kelso, MacAndrews & Forbes, TH Lee, Vestar, Wellspring and Windward.
Previous to Freshfields, Jim was a partner at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom where he helped to establish, build and ultimately lead their banking group.
- Advising CVC Capital Partners on the leveraged financing for the acquisition of Linxens by way of first- and second-lien multicurrency facilities totaling over $1.05bn.
- Advising BC Partners and Springer Science+Business Media (SSBM) on the amendment and refinancing of SSBM’s credit agreement for its merger with the academic journals business of Holtzbrink Publishing. The financing was approximately €2.5bn.
- Advising Paine & Partners on the debt restructuring and ultimate sale of Icicle Seafoods.
- Advising J.P. Morgan Securities, as lead arranger and administrative agent, in connection with the financing of B/E Aerospace’s spinoff of its subsidiary KLX.
- Advising Royal Caribbean International, a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises, on its $1.128bn revolving credit agreement with Bank of Nova Scotia as agent.
- JD, cum laude, Fordham University, 1981; member of the Fordham Law Review.
- BA, State University of New York at Binghamton, 1978.
New York601 Lexington Avenue 31st Floor
New York, NY
T +1 212 277 4030
F +1 646 521 5630 email@example.com