About Steffie De Backer
Steffie De Backer is a senior attorney in the Brussels office, and a member of the Global transactions team.
She leads the Brussels financial regulatory practice. She advises a broad range of clients on financial services and regulatory matters (including AIFMD, MiFID II, banking and insurance regulation) and has experience in dealing with the Belgian financial regulators. She also advises on M&A and other transactions in the financial services sector. She is further involved in providing advice to financial institutions and non-financial corporates on ESG matters, including ESG reporting.
She speaks Dutch, English and French.
- Advising Lloyd's of London on the post-Brexit relocation of their European business to Brussels.
- Advising various other global financial institutions and insurance companies on their Brexit contingency planning.
- Advising Fortino Capital, a Belgium-based venture capital fund manager, on the setting up of investment funds and the application of a license at the Belgian regulator as an alternative investment fund manager.
- University of Ghent, Belgium (law degree and economics degree)
- New York University, US (LL.M degree)
- Brussels bar