Steffie De Backer is a principal associate in the Brussels office, and a member of the Global transactions team.
She focuses on Belgian and European banking, insurance and financial services regulation. She also advises on general corporate law and litigation matters.
Her clients include banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions. She provides specialist advisory support on various regulatory matters, such as governance of financial institutions, capital requirements, and the implementation of MiFID II, AIFMD and other EU directives and regulations. She also assists on M&A and other transactions in the financial services sector.
She speaks Dutch, English and French.back to tab navigation
- Advising Lloyd's of London on the post-Brexit relocation of their European business to Brussels.
- Advising various other global financial institutions and insurance companies on their Brexit contingency planning.
- Advising Fortino Capital, a Belgium-based venture capital fund manager, on the setting up of investment funds and the application of a license at the Belgian regulator as an alternative investment fund manager.
- University of Ghent, Belgium (law degree and economics degree)
- New York University, US (LL.M degree)
- Brussels bar
Place du Champ de Mars/Marsveldplein 5
T +32 2 504 7000
F +32 2 504 7200
- Corporate and M&A
- Financing and capital markets
- Debt capital markets
- Derivatives and structured products
- Financial restructuring
- High yield and acquisition finance
- Investment grade and corporate treasury
- Regulatory capital
- Distressed acquisitions
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Financial Services Regulation
- Foreign investment regulation