Shawn's practice focuses on managing clients' cross-border transactions and, specifically, the national security review of foreign investments conducted by the interagency Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS” or the “Committee”), drawing on his deep experience and involvement with the Committee.
He has nine years’ experience as the Director of Foreign Investment Risk Management at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), where - over three administrations - Shawn advised the Assistant Secretary for Policy, the General Counsel, the Deputy Secretary and Secretary on all matters pertaining to foreign investment in the United States. In that role, he was responsible for managing DHS’s daily participation in CFIUS, including the review and disposition of over 1,000 CFIUS cases.
Shawn helps clients successfully navigate all stages of the CFIUS process, including assessing whether a voluntary filing is warranted, negotiating purchase terms to allocate CFIUS risk, conducting due diligence to assess potential national security concerns, developing effective engagement strategies, drafting CFIUS filings, and negotiating national security risk mitigation agreements when required.
back to tab navigation
- Panelist: “Mitigation: The Finer Points of Negotiating and Drafting Mitigation Language: Updating Your Approach Further to Evolving CFIUS Requirements and Trends.” American Conference Institute’s 3rd National Forum on CFIUS & Team Telecom, February 2017.
- Panelist: “The Interplay Between Antitrust Merger Review and Foreign Investment Review?” IBA Annual Conference 2016, September 2016.
- Panelist: “Latest Developments: Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS),” 11th Annual Homeland Security Law Institute, August 2016.
- Panelist: “Critical Infrastructure, Defense Contracts, Proximity & Supply Chains: Addressing Unique Considerations That Can Derail the Deal.” American Conference Institute’s 2nd National Forum on CFIUS, July 2015.
- Panelist: “A Cross-border Enforcement Conversation,” GCR Live 2nd Annual Foreign Investment Review, June 2014 (Freshfields co-chaired event).
- Panelist: Government Agency Roundtable “Getting the Deal Done in the Evolving Regulatory World.” GCR Live Foreign Investment Review, October 2013 (Freshfields co-chaired event).
- JD, magna cum laude, Columbus School of Law, Catholic University, Washington, DC, member of the Catholic University Law Review.
- BS, with distinction and honors, Pennsylvania State University.
- Law Clerk in the Office of the Chief Attorney in the Army Pentagon, Washington, DC, May 2000 to June 2001.
- Member, the District of Columbia Bar, the Virginia Bar and the US Supreme Court Bar.
- Prior to joining Department of Homeland Security in 2008, Shawn practiced at a leading Washington-based firm, where he focused on managing proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and other federal and state securities regulators’ proceedings.
Washington, DC700 13th Street, NW, 10th floor
Washington, DC 20005-3960
T +1 202 777 4592
F +1 202 777 4555 email@example.com