David advises corporates, private equity sponsors and financial institutions on a broad range of intellectual property and commercial issues across the sports, retail, technology and healthcare sectors.
David has recently advised on a number of high-profile sports investments, with a particular focus on the protection and exploitaton of commercial rights.
David frequently advises on large-scale multi-jurisdictional separation projects involving a broad spectrum of commercial agreements connected with the merger, acquisition, disposal or outsourcing of business units, and in particular in the context of carve-outs.
His work on commercial agreements covers the full waterfront of IP rights, including licensing, merchandising, image rights, endorsement and sponsorship arrangements.
David qualified at Freshfields in 2002 and has worked in the firm’s London, New York and Singapore offices.
back to tab navigation
- Advising Smiths Medical in its negotiations with the UK Government and a consortium of blue-chip British medical, engineering and technology companies in connection with the emergency and expedited ramp-up, manufacture and supply of ventilators during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Advising CVC on its partnerships with Premiership Rugby and Pro14 Rugby and related commercial rights
- Advising CVC on its participation with Fédération de Internationale Volleyball (“FIVB”) and partnership in Volleyball World
- Advising CVC on its acquisition of SkyBet in a carve-out transaction from London-listed Sky plc, and subsequent sale to Stars Group
- Advising an AI/tech start-up on a joint venture and collaboration with a Premiership football club and a national football league in connection with the development and roll-out of a consumer-facing mobile app
- Advising Liberty Global, the world’s largest international TV and broadband company, on the sale of its operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone
- Advising Novartis on the intellectual property, business separation and services arrangements for a number of transactions including:
- the spin-off and operational separation of its eyecare division, Alcon in 2019
- the divisional asset swaps with GSK in 2015 covering oncology, OTC and vaccines assets
- a series of disposals mandated by several national competition authorities of a number of healthcare products in Europe, Asia, North America and South America
- Advising AstraZeneca on a joint venture pharmaceutical collaboration with Merck, including reciprocal IP licensing arrangements
- Advising JB Chemicals on the sale to Johnson & Johnson of its OTC business in Russia and various CIS territories.
- Advising on the divestment of manufacturing facilities around the world, with associated long-term manufacturing and supply arrangements.
- University of Oxford, UK (law)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, UK (legal practice course)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
London EC2P 2SR
T +44 20 7936 4000
F +44 20 7832 7001