About Laurent Bougard
Laurent is a counsel in the firm’s Antitrust, Competition and Trade Group based in Hong Kong. His practice covers all areas of competition law, with a particular focus on global merger control investigations.
He has extensive experience with merger control regimes in Asia and Europe, and has advised clients on several complex Phase I and Phase II merger control investigations requiring remedies. His past experience has led him to act for clients active in various sectors, including both financial sponsors and industrials. He also advises on trade defence questions, and has been guiding several Asia-based clients on foreign investment screening rules and the upcoming EU Foreign Subsidies regime.
Laurent is fluent in English, Dutch and French.
- Advising UBS Group AG on fast-tracked regulatory engagements tailored to the procedural nuances of each jurisdiction involved in its acquisition of Credit Suisse Group AG.
- Advising The Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd. on the global merger control and foreign investment screening aspects of its acquisition of Trelleborg Wheel Systems from Trelleborg AB.
- Advising Korean Air across the APAC region on strategic merger control and regulatory aspects of its 1.8 trillion won (approximately $1.51 billion) acquisition of Asiana, merging the two largest airlines in Korea. This matter won Merger Control Matter of the Year for the Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa region at the GCR Awards 2023.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on global coordination, regulatory engagement and substantive strategy for its successful $27bn acquisition of Refinitiv.
- ESR on the multi-jurisdictional merger and foreign investment filing analysis workstream relating to its $5.2 bn acquisition of 100 per cent of the share capital of ARA Asset Management (ARA)
- Advising the Malaysia Airlines group on regulatory aspects of its global restructuring, including the first use of a UK scheme to reduce liabilities under aircraft leases.
- Borealis AG on an in-depth investigation into its acquisition of semi-conductive compound manufacturer DYM Chemicals by the Korea Fair Trade Commission.
- Advising Suzano Papel e Celulose, the Brazilian paper and pulp manufacturer, on the global merger control aspects of its $11bn acquisition of rival Fibria Celulose, including in the EU, US, China and Brazil.
- Advising Maersk Line on the merger control clearances of its acquisition of Hamburg Süd in over 20 jurisdictions including the EU, China and South Korea.
- Advising BASF on its €7.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and crop protection businesses and related assets, which Bayer divested ahead of its planned acquisition of Monsanto.
- KU Leuven, Belgium (LLM), magna cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, US (LLM)
- Brussels Bar (A-list)
- Hong Kong (Registered Foreign Lawyer)