About Rohit Bhat
Rohit is a senior associate in our international arbitration group, based in Singapore. He has significant experience representing clients in complex, high-profile international commercial and Investor-State arbitrations across a wide variety of industry sectors. Rohit's most recent experience includes representing the Republic of Korea in an UNCITRAL arbitration commenced by Elliott Associates L.P., an Asian State in proceedings to enforce a treaty award in the English High Court, and a leading private equity investor in a SIAC arbitration in the renewable energy sector.
In addition to his broad disputes practice across various regions, Rohit also leads the India Disputes practice of the firm.
Rohit is recognised as a Future Leader in Who's Who Legal's global publication and a Rising Star by Legal 500. Before joining Freshfields, Rohit practised at the Indian bar and was on the Indian government’s Supreme Court panel of lawyers (Panel A). He also worked with the Office of the Attorney General for India, appearing as junior counsel in significant constitutional cases and writing legal opinions for public-sector companies and government ministries. He has extensive experience advising Indian companies on their domestic and international disputes, and multi-national corporations on their cross-border disputes in India.
Rohit was educated at University Law College, Bangalore, the National Law School of India University, and Harvard Law School. Rohit is qualified to practice in New York, England & Wales and India. He is also a registered foreign practitioner in Singapore.
Rohit speaks English, Hindi, Kannada and Tulu.
- Representing the Republic of Korea in an UNCITRAL arbitration commenced by Elliott Associates, L.P., a major US hedge fund, relating to allegations surrounding the Korean government’s role in a US$8bn merger between two Samsung entities.
- Representing a subsidiary of a major Asian trading house in an investment treaty arbitration against a South Asian State relating to a tax demand on its investment in the mining sector.
- Representing an Asian State in proceedings to enforce a treaty award in the English High court.
- Representing a leading private equity house in a SIAC arbitration concerning its exit from an Indian joint venture in the rail freight sector, leading to a comprehensive, favourable settlement and securing the private equity firm’s complete exit.
- Advising a large energy company in a series of disputes pertaining to oil and gas trading contracts with a Chinese counterparty.
- Advising a leading private equity house on a potential SIAC arbitration relating to the development of solar energy projects in India.
- Representing a large oil & gas corporation in a treaty claim against a North African State.
- Representing a major Southeast Asian corporation concerning its exit from an investment in the Middle East, leading to a favourable settlement of all claims.
- Advising a group of foreign investors, including major multi-national corporations on anti-bribery and corruption and anti-money laundering issues in India.
- Representing a leading private equity house in an UNCITRAL arbitration concerning its exit from an Indian joint venture in the power sector, involving allegations of inappropriate conduct by the Indian promoter and failure to develop a promised power project.
- Representing a US corporation in set-aside proceedings in the Indian Supreme Court arising out of a joint-venture shareholder dispute.
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., (2017)
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore, M.B.L., (2009)
- University Law College, Bangalore, B.A.L. LLB., (2009)
- Rohit is admitted to practice in New York, England & Wales and India.
- Steering Committee member - Young Mumbai Centre for International Arbitration (YMCIA).
- Inter Pacific Bar Association