About Alexandre Alonso
Alexandre is a member of our dispute resolution practice group and specializes in commercial and investment arbitration.
Alexandre has experience advising and representing companies, as well as sovereign States, in international disputes involving the financial, energy, infrastructure and mining sectors. He has acted as counsel in 10+ high stakes disputes, in English, Spanish and French, including international arbitrations under the ICSID, UNCITRAL, LCIA and ICC rules.
Alexandre is a member of our Global Projects Disputes Practice in Continental Europe and also provides legal advice to multinational companies on their risk exposure under US/EU sanctions regimes.
During his time at Freshfields, Alexandre spent a year in our Washington DC office, two years in Rome and two years in New York prior to joining our Madrid office.
- Advising the subsidiary of a Honduras-based conglomerate in an LCIA arbitration against a Latin American State over its concession to maintain and operate four international airports.
- Advising a Singapoerean energy company in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State relating to its investments in the power generation and distribution sector.
- Advising a Swiss mining company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against a Latin American State for the nationalization of its mining assets.
- Advising a Spanish banking group in an arbitration brought against a Latin American State pursuant to ICSID Additional Facility rules for the nationalisation of a pension fund administration system.
- Advising a Latin American State in ICSID resubmission proceedings brought by the subsidiary of an international energy company in relation to the determination of electricity tariffs.
- Advising a Spanish company of the infrastructure sector in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State regarding the interference with tariff regime of toll highway concessions.
- Advising various international companies in a commercial arbitration under UNCITRAL rules arising out of the termination of two oil production sharing contracts.
- Advising a group of Latin American subsidiaries of a multinational commodity trading and mining company in a multi-party commercial ICC arbitration, in which the combined value of the claims exceeded US$1 billion.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in International Legal Studies (Washington DC, 2016)
- Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles, Master for Access to the Legal Profession (Madrid, 2015)
- Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles, Master in Stock Exchange and Financial Markets (Madrid, 2014)
- Universidad Complutense, Bachelor of Laws (Madrid, 2014)
- Admitted to the New York State Bar (USA, 2019)
- Admitted to the Madrid Bar (Spain, 2016)